TEFL job market prospects

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

alextmula

TEFL job market prospects

Unread post by alextmula »

Hello,

I'm currently on the brink of a decision on becoming a TEFL teacher but wnated some advice.
I have no experience teaching and havea bit of debt I'm paying off but my girlfriend who is a primary school teacher wants to teach abroad.

She's wants to apply for jobs at international schools in Europe and me to train as a TEFL teacher and come with her. I have a number of reservations obviously, but I wanted to know what the market is like for TEFL teachers in Europe? Specifically Italy/France?

We're also considering the far east for what I understand would be better pay, but as I would be newly qualified, what are the prospects.

If anyone is able to offer any advice, that would be most helpful.

Thank you

Alex
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL job market prospects

Unread post by systematic »

One of our most hotly discussed topics. My immediate advice is to search the board using the search box above and see the previous discussions. Lots of good advice to be had. Come back here if you don't find what you are looking for.
GradSol

Re: TEFL job market prospects

Unread post by GradSol »

Job prospects around the globe for teachers of ESL are excellent. This is especially true for those teachers with formal training and practical teaching experience, both of which are provided through TEFL International's intensive TESOL certificate program.
Most legal jobs are for a year, particularly if they are arranged in advance, with the employer providing airfare and/or housing. Some 3-6 month contract jobs exist, but most short term jobs are hourly paid and can only be arranged in the overseas country.