Which TEFL qualification for Asia?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Elastic

Which TEFL qualification for Asia?

Unread post by Elastic »

I am thinking of getting the Trinity CertTESOL and teaching in Asia. However, I also see different qualifications, such as ICAL (mostly on teflworldwiki.com). Would one be more helpful than the other? The countries I am considering are Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan, and Singapore.
Lucas
Rising Star

Re: Which TEFL qualification for Asia?

Unread post by Lucas »

A 100-hour TESOL certificate is good for Asia. If you are planning to teach at EPIK (South Korea), a 100-hour TESOL/TEFL certificate qualifies applicants for $300 extra per month. If you're looking for an online version of the Trinity CertTESOL, Ontesol's 250-hour TESOL program is more advanced than Coventry's 5-week Trinity program and because it's delivered by a private institute, it costs a lot less than a similar university program recognized by TESL Canada Standard 2.
Elastic

Unread post by Elastic »

Ok thanks. Do you think the 100-hour in-person program would be better, or the 250-hour online program? Sure, it's more hours, and everyone says it's more advanced, but would it help me more in getting a job? Would potential employers look down on it because it is an online program?
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

The Trinity course is 160 hours, 20 of which are a Practicum module. There is no difference between online and on-site for the theoretical components. It only depends on your preferred method of study. You also have the option of taking a 20-hour Practicum after the online program.
There is, however, a difference between courses. You will see that the average price of an online 100-hour TESOL/TEFL course is $300. These courses, including Ontesol’s 100-hour course, are simpler than a Trinity program, the 250-hour course, or the online CELTA. The benefit of taking one of these standard courses is that you can learn the basics. Most schools don’t ask for advanced certificates (Requirements vary a lot on a country basis), but it’s recommended to upgrade your credentials if you will continue to teach after the first year. If you are going to take one of these courses, it’s also important to pick one that teaches how to create lesson plans.
Elastic

Unread post by Elastic »

I think I would prefer to do an in-person course over an online one. I was considering the 5-week Trinity CertTESOL at Coventry House in Canada because it is cheaper and closer to home. However, I emailed them, and they say they will not have a course in January 2012, which is when I am looking to attend a course.

So now I am considering CELTA. IH Bangkok's CELTA price of $2100 includes accommodation. Even with the cost of a plane ticket to Thailand, it comes to about the same price as more local CELTA courses (once you add the cost of accommodation). So I am seriously considering this one, assuming they have a course early next year (I sent them a query). Besides, I would love to go to Thailand for a month, even if I am insanely busy studying!

I looked on the CELTA site for other training centers, but all of them seem to be more expensive. Is IH Bangkok's course good? Are there any other courses which are similarly priced?