English First in Indonesia

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

lauracollman

English First in Indonesia

Unread post by lauracollman »

My boyfirend and I want to teach in Indonesia after we finish our CELTA course next week. The huge majority of jobs seem to be with the franchise English First. From searching on the internet I can see that they have a mixed track record but can't actually find any more detail about people's experience or whether English First comes recommended. We have applied to them and are waiting to organise interviews but I would really like some feedback from someone with first hand experience before we take this further.

Thanks

Laura
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: English First in Indonesia

Unread post by Alex Case »

I don't have any personal experience, but over my many years of reading TEFL forums I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything positive about EF in China or Indonesia. It seems that you don't become the biggest educational group in the world by having standards or treating your staff well... Think of them as the McDonalds of TEFL.
sjbeale

Unread post by sjbeale »

I have just finished a year contract with EF in Bali - what I read about them on the internet before coming was generally correct. It's definitely like the Mcdonald's of English schools! People see the 'EF' logo and think it's an assurance of quality - it's not!

What exactly did you hear? And have you applied at any of the schools? I personally think the online schooling they have is mind-numbingly boring (I escaped as I always had a full schedule - they make you do online stuff if you are ever under your MAXIMUM hours i.e. 24 contact hours - clever, eh)

I should point you over to this site - omniprof.ning.com as it is like a social networking site for teachers. I have also been adding some blog stuff about teaching in Indo / Bali. Check it out!
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

I have to echo Alex's words. I had some personal experience with EF 12 years ago in Thailand and it was the worst I had in my entire 30 years experience in education. 'Nuf said.
swilleyv

Unread post by swilleyv »

Hi Laura! Did you accept the position with EF Bali? I am also considering accepting a position there, but I am hesitant as well because of the negative comments online.

Thanks!
-Laura S.