Male with Long Hair

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

IamJohnny

Male with Long Hair

Unread post by IamJohnny »

Is long hair in males (even if neat and tidy in a ponytail) seen as unprofessional for TEFL, particular in Asian countries?
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Male with Long Hair

Unread post by systematic »

Short answer: Yes. But there is nothing to stop you asking the school. I cut my very long hair off just before I came to Thailand nearly 13 years ago. Until you know, best thing to do is to tie it back so it doesn't show on your pass and CV photos.
NMonks

Re: Male with Long Hair

Unread post by NMonks »

I work in a public high school in Korea, I have long hair, it's just over shoulder length. When teaching I ALWAYS tie it back, into like a bun, don't know exactly what it's called but it's shorter than a ponytail. I have had several jobs in several countries in Asia and so far had no problems. For me it is is the kind of thing where if you are a bad teacher then they will find something about you to complain about, for example a pony tail. If you work hard and do a good job then it's not a problem, in fact most of my employer have come to like it. I also have a full beard, again I've never had a problem. Work hard, teach well and that kind of thing will be overlooked.