Assoc Degree & TEFL: enough for job in former Soviet Bloc?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

wwinaustin

Assoc Degree & TEFL: enough for job in former Soviet Bloc?

Unread post by wwinaustin »

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. :)

I'm currently pursuing fulltime an Assoc. degree in English. I would also like to get TEFL (or TESOL, etc.) certified so that I can teach English in some of the former Soviet Bloc countries.

Would an Assoc. degree and TEFL certification--combined with my decade's worth of previous experience teaching and consulting in the computer industry--be enough to get me a job in one of the former Soviet Bloc countries in central or eastern Europe?

I would only need enough to get by; I have lived outside the USA before and can live very cheaply with few amenities. I would have no problem living in one of the less "popular" countries (Moldova, Albania, etc.) for 2-3 years, and in fact would probably enjoy it.

My reason for wanting to live in this part of the world is to learn about their cultures and to work on a book project, so as long as I can afford a small rental with a yard for outdoor cooking, I'll be fine. I don't require modern conveniences, just a wood or propane stove and a clean water source would do me fine. :)

One more question: If I have the TEFL certification, will it make any real difference what degree I have? I'm considering switching to a US History degree because of the book project.

Thanks!
wwinaustin

Re: Assoc Degree & TEFL: enough for job in former Soviet Blo

Anyone?
dyspblog

Unread post by dyspblog »

In my experince degree + tefl cert is a winning combination and no it doesnt matter what specific field your degree is in.

Good luck!
wwinaustin