Prospective Teacher, Newbie Questions

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

PykePryce

Prospective Teacher, Newbie Questions

Unread post by PykePryce »

Hi,

I am a prospective teacher. I am currently in college in America, I will graduate in May of 2011 with my Bachelor of Science in Professional and Technical Writing (and an "unofficial" minor in communication, meaning I took many communication classes, just no official minor).

I have always wanted to be an English teacher abroad. I understand that money isn't great, but I am not in it for money. I do currently work from "home" (wherever there is an internet connection) so it will help make up for it. (It's a writing/editing/content development using Adobe programs job).

So, I want to teach English. Preferably in Brazil, Argentina, South America places, Italy... those are my top choices. Germany as well.

My problem is I worry about job opportunities. I plan on getting my TEFL or some kind of CELTA or whatever certification I need, once I can guarantee myself it is a legit certification and real. This will likely begin in May, four Saturdays a month.

Here are my concerns/questions:

1) When should I start looking for jobs? After I get my certificate ? I saw some say you should go to the country you want to work and apply in person. What is the best way to find jobs that pay descent and are legit?

2) My friend has already graduated and might do it with me. If he does, we plan on finding a job together. If he does the same course, and we look for a job together, is it unreasonable to expect finding a job together? Will it be harder? Will they consider that you have "family/friends" with you so you are more likely to stay and therefore more likely to hire us? How would we put this on our resume/cover letter?

3) My biggest concern is the fact that we are both gay. I don't want any trouble. What countries should I avoid because of this?

Thanks for all your help! I hope I am on the right track.
Last edited by Joe on 20 Mar 2011, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed commercial links
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Prospective Teacher, Newbie Questions

Unread post by Alex Case »

For Italy and Germany you will need an EU passport, and anyway there are very few jobs for newbie teachers in Germany and you can barely live off the wages of a newbie teacher in Italy.

Latin America is less gay-friendly than you might think, but if you keep it quiet in public and find the right supportive communities, e.g. the left wing/ alternative scene in Argentina, you should be fine.
PykePryce

Unread post by PykePryce »

Haha, Argentina is the place I would love actually.

What about Brazil? Jobs there? How is it?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

That's all I know, I'm afraid. Picked that up from Brazilian students in London and Argentinian friends in Spain, and never been there myself