Which course should I do?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

randomrue

Which course should I do?

Unread post by randomrue »

Hi there!

I am interested in teaching English abroad but I am massively overwhelmed with regards to the amount of different courses that are available to me. I graduated a couple of years ago now and have since been living in Oxford, employed full time in management. My contract for my house runs out in August so ideally I would like to be fully trained by then or at least starting my studies elsewhere (Barcelona, Prague, somewhere different). Once I have my training I was hoping to go out to either South Korea or Japan and teach there.

If anyone could provide any information with regards to TEFL, CELTA or TESOL and which one would be best suited it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Which course should I do?

Unread post by Alex Case »

I think we've covered everything here

http://www.tefl.net/tefl-courses/faq.htm

From there, this page would probably be the most relevant to you

http://www.tefl.net/tefl-courses/faq-te ... cation.htm
GradSol

Unread post by GradSol »

Nice information.Thanks for sharing..
tpospisil

Unread post by tpospisil »

Hi there,

I'd like to take a moment and agree with the FAQs page linked to you above. You sound a lot like the same position that I was in 6 years ago - a degree and a desire to travel - contemplating which of all these schools is best.

I found in my search I kept getting kicked over to the TEFL Worldwide Prague website. I researched for about a week, decided I'd never traveled to Prague before, so it was as good of a place as any, and I made the leap. That was over six years ago now and I've taught in the Czech Republic, South Korea, the UAE, and Germany since then. It's been an unbelievable ride.

And, yes, I needed that face-to-face course - it is my personal belief that all teachers need to be observed as they're learning their craft. In that list of countries above, I've seen great teachers (who always had some good training) and too many unhappy teachers (who cut corners in the preparation by either doing it online or thinking they didn't need it). What I found at the above school (I personally think it was one of the best moves I ever made!) was a really qualified staff and such practical teaching tips that I have felt confident every day that I made the right decision.

Best of luck to you as you start this journey and make your choice!