can I work

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

zaynap4

can I work

Unread post by zaynap4 »

Hi!

I want to ask only one question. I m Albanian& Turkish and I want to be an English teacher. if I take a TEFL certificate, can I be a teacher? (not only in Turkey)or should I take any other certificate? or what must I do?

thanks for ur answer

by the way if someone want to learn something about Turkey I can answer their questions? ;)
Mason6665

Unread post by Mason6665 »

Hi Zaynap4,

Having a TEFL certificate is certainly a plus, but not a guarantee. Have a look at the job postings here on TEFL Net, so you can have a better idea what qualifications are generally required. Of course, you will have to keep in mind that these are mostly positions at private language schools or universities. I can assure you, that in the non-profit side of the ESL teaching world, which is often referred to as ESOL, the requirements are less stringent. If you don't have a Bachelor's degree and/or are not a native speaker, you might find that looking into adult community programs yields more and quicker results for your job search than doing the same in the private sector. Adult community programs are great places to start your teaching career. You can build up your teaching skills and experience, and they are always in need of teachers.

stromfi
Mason6665

Unread post by Mason6665 »

Hi Zaynap4,

Having a TEFL certificate is certainly a plus, but not a guarantee. Have a look at the job postings here on TEFL Net, so you can have a better idea what qualifications are generally required. Of course, you will have to keep in mind that these are mostly positions at private language schools or universities. I can assure you, that in the non-profit side of the ESL teaching world, which is often referred to as ESOL, the requirements are less stringent. If you don't have a Bachelor's degree and/or are not a native speaker, you might find that looking into adult community programs yields more and quicker results for your job search than doing the same in the private sector. Adult community programs are great places to start your teaching career. You can build up your teaching skills and experience, and they are always in need of teachers.

stromfi