Teaching English in Aleppo, Syria

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

boconnor

Teaching English in Aleppo, Syria

Unread post by boconnor »

Hello,

After about 2 weeks time I will be going to Aleppo, Syria to find a TEFL job. I've recently completed a CELTA course with a preliminary Pass-B, and I have a bachelor's degree in Classical Languages. I have no other experience in teaching besides the CELTA. I am a native speaker of English (American). I have lived in Jordan and visited Syria once before, and I know a decent amount of Arabic, although I am far from fluent.

Basically I'm just looking for some general information regarding jobs in Syria. I have an incomplete list of schools in Aleppo, but there is very little information about them that I can find—are there some disreputable ones that I should look out for? What kind of pay should I be expecting? Does anybody perhaps know any English teachers currently in Aleppo whom I might be able to contact? Anything would be helpful at this point.

Thanks in advance,
B
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching English in Aleppo, Syria

Unread post by Briona »

I've never come across anyone looking to teach in Syria before!

The following is taken from 'Teaching English Abroad' by Susan Griffith:

The opportunities in Syria are expanding and improving. The Education Adviser at the small British Council office in Damascus is willing to advise individual enquirers and has a list of half a dozen ELT institutions in Syria. The British Council cautions that: 'Teachers wishing to teach here should make sure of their positions before arrival. They should obtain sponsorship from the prospective employer for residence purposes and have an agreed written contract.'

Contact details for the aforementioned British Council office can be found on the following link: http://www.britishcouncil.org/syria-syr ... act-us.htm

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Briona
Jennivive

Unread post by Jennivive »

Hi B,

I just googled teaching in Syria and your post came up, was wondering how did you get on in the end. Have you managed to find work there? I would be really interested in going there to teach as well?

Thanks in advance,

Jenny
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I've heard good things from the people I know who've travelled and worked in Syria, but afraid I have no idea how they actually got the jobs. I get the impression that it's mainly a destination for people later in their careers with a Masters or Diploma who work for universities or the British Council