Length of contracts

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

theratrace

Length of contracts

Unread post by theratrace »

My first post here. Firstly, let me say thankyou, all of you, for the valuable information shared on this forum. Many of my questions have been answered without me having to post a thing.

I wonder if those in the know could help me with this, though:
Most contracts of employment in Asia seem to be a year's length minimum. Are there many job opportunities out there (in Asia) with a commitment of less than a year? And, if there are, are the seekers of those shorter contract jobs likely to face fiercer competition because of the contract's brevity?

Thankyou in advance for your help.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Length of contracts

Unread post by systematic »

It depends on what kind of organisation you want to teach in. Obviously mainstream schools and universities prefer teachers to sign for a full school year, but many will give a contract on a one semester basis. High Street language institutes are more flexible because they operate all year round.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Length of contracts

Unread post by Alex Case »

When I was in Thailand many moons ago ECC used to offer short contracts, but obviously only for people who walked in through the door asking for work. Jobs advertised in Kao San Road also often worked the same way. No idea how much things have changed since then. I imagine the same is true wherever there are backpackers who can pick up teaching jobs.

In Japan there is one organisation, Westgate, that only hires people on short contracts.

Rather than competition, I think the main issue is that you will be competing for the worst jobs, and possibly have to work illegally.