Online tutoring

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

noodles

Online tutoring

Unread post by noodles »

I have just joined your forum - it looks great! I qualified with a TESOL some 10 years ago and have 2 years experience teaching in a private school in England and 3 years teaching privately to individuals and small groups in France. I am temporarily living in Ireland and am hoping to build up an online tutoring business that I can easily transfer to France when I return (our home there is 'out in the sticks - in fact we have just got ADSL in January). I have tried googling tutoring online but would appreciate any pointers from yourself or your forum members. Many thanks!!
eoinlane

Re: Online tutoring

Unread post by eoinlane »

Hiya - I'm afraid I don't have pointers so much.

The reason I reply is because I see you mentioned Ireland and starting an online business. I am from Ireland and presently seeking work. I am a science graduate presently out of work and now plan travelling to Korea or elsewhere with a tefl position.
If you want teachers to assist as online co-workers please let me know.

Also, I travel a lot and last year spent a few months on the Comoros islands - a franciphone nation of East Africca : where i organised and conducted english classes. Since my level of French has improved I wondered about work in France though it seems less available here than elsewhere in Europe. Do you know of opportunities in France?

Sorry I wasn't of particular help to you. I too have viewed online positions on the web ie. ISUS, maybe email these for advice or commence work with them to start out.
noodles

Unread post by noodles »

Hi Eoinlane,

Thank you so much for your reply. So sorry for not replying sooner - I was away in Belgium. Having lived in France for 3 years, I would say that it is not the easiest country to find a job in. Most of the work seems to be in Paris and the pay is not good. On a positive note though, it has been made easier for people to start up small businesses in the last 12 months. However, you need to find your pupils and therefore being in an area where there is a high demand/need to speak English, is vital. A good level of fluency in French, I would say, is a must. Good luck in what ever you do and wherever you go!!!!
seanaway

Unread post by seanaway »

Hi guys. France has always been a bit odd in terms of finding ELT work. It's rarely advertised in France, but teachers I have trained have told me the work is there if you knock on doors when you get there.

Online work is a great way to teach, but I would advise against banking solely on teaching to support yourself (at least for the first year). There are plenty of other opportunities online for teachers. If you'd like a pointer feel free to PM me and I'll send you a link - don't know if I'm allowed to post url's here so best not to.

Hope this helps.

John
aniaLL

Unread post by aniaLL »

I think that online tutoring is an excellent job opportunity for those who are unemployed or just have little children and need to stay home. With the help of skype or any other online communicators, the only thing you need to do, is to download the program, buy a headset and maybe a camera, if you want to visible. I have a friend who was studying Russian this way. Her teacher was from Russia, my friend from England. Her teacher was a native speaker with a teaching degree. They had a scheduled time on Saturdays (5 hours!), my friend was paying her through visa, and they never met in 'real life.' Moreover, my friend was very satisfied with the service she was receiving and she could have her Russian lesson in...pajamas.
GradSol

Unread post by GradSol »

Online work is a great way to teach, but I would advise against banking solely on teaching to support you. If you want the more information about this topic you can search on internet.