Teaching without a degree

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

samuel

Teaching without a degree

Unread post by samuel »

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question for all of you! Is it possible to teach either at primary or secondary school levels even though I still haven't finished my degree in second language teaching at Laval university? I am currently undergoing my second year and I still have 2 more practicums yet to be completed. I heard we had to at least have completed the 3rd ^practicum before we could accept job offers. Many schools are lacking English teachers and I would like to start acquiring some more experience in the classroom. What have you guys heard? Have some of you taught classes even though you have not yet completed the 3rd practicum?

Thank you!

Samuel C.
harrison

Re: Teaching without a degree

Unread post by harrison »

It's totally possible to teach without a degree. I mean, it's always important/appealing to have a degree as a background, but it's also totally possible to succeed without it. It'll be wise to finish your last years at Laval, and just try to take on any sub spots or internships at some schools. It'll be worth it in the end!

If you have some questions about certifications, this website: http://www.teacherssupportnetwork.com/c ... e.do?id=16 provides a lot of faq's about certificates. And http://www.teflcertificate.com/ guides you through the TEFL program--I believe they are having a new rate as well. My sister went through http://www.onlineenglishdegree.com/ after finishing her basics at a community college to get her English degree and during that time, she was able to put in a lot of teaching time because her classes were online. So that might be something to look into if you'd considering transferring credits.

Anyways, so don't get too caught up in having a degree--there isn't any rush to finish anything, so take your time, complete your degree and start teaching full time!!
buniac

Unread post by buniac »

Actually, even if the market is open for most of us in Quebec, I would not recommend getting started without a degree. I have myself tried to apply in a couple of schools to begin substitute teaching and most of them came back to me with a negative answer. To begin substitute teaching, you need to finish your third practicum.

Even though the government has announced a new program for elementary schools, I would finish my degree before applying for any of these jobs. There are so many opportunities to teach English in Quebec without a degree when you go away from Quebec City but a diploma would look better in your resumé. If you wish to teach in Gaspésie or Abitibi, I am sure you can find a teaching job without a degree since finding teachers for these places is pretty hard. However, if you want to stay close to Quebec City, school boards are looking for degrees.
TallMikeV

Unread post by TallMikeV »

harrison wrote:It's totally possible to teach without a degree. I mean, it's always important/appealing to have a degree as a background, but it's also totally possible to succeed without it. It'll be wise to finish your last years at Laval, and just try to take on any sub spots or internships at some schools. It'll be worth it in the end!
I totally agree with this. I am in my second year in ESL teaching at ULaval and I have already done subteaching in my hometown. I had worked for the Commission Scolaire in another project and with the experience I had gained during my first practicum I decided to send my curriculum to the schoolboard in my hometown. After a week or two, I had a file under my name and they called me several times for subteaching. This said, I can't say I would want a contract right now as I know I am lacking some important methods to give a long term class. I believe that after my third practicum I will have enough experience to accept contracts, if the occassion presents itself, I will consider the opportunity.

This said, you may totally be accepted for subteaching in some school boards. I don't think that every school board does hire university students in ESL teaching, but I believe many actually do.
JEEPYY

Unread post by JEEPYY »

Dear Samuel, they're is indeed a way to teach without any degree. The first option available is to go deep in regions and look for desperate schools that totally need substitute English teachers or whatever teacher. Besides that, if you have connections with the school board, it's pretty easy too. In another matter, you can always bring your resumé to any school board and say you'Re interested in substitute teaching and anything you want too. Maybe you won'T get a job as teacher the first year, but you have to make yourself a name! This will pay off on the long run buddy. :P That'S what I did and I got a paying job 1 years after my volunteer work at my school because they really enjoyed my work as a volunteer.
enirak

Unread post by enirak »

Hello Samuel!
Like you, I also thought that we have to wait before teaching because that's what one school board told me (that 3rd practicum was the requirement), but I know some people in the program who are substitute teachers, so in fact, it is possible to teach even if we have done only 2 practicums. There is also a lot of offers for tutorials, after-school lessons, private help with english, help with homework, and even english summer camps. So I think that with all these offers, we can easily find something to acquire experience before the next practicum. Take a look at the job offers on the SPLA website : www.spla.ulaval.ca
I regularly see jobs in schools.
Good luck in your research!
nicolasbru

Unread post by nicolasbru »

Like it was mentionned before, you may start as a substistute teacher. Once the school as witnessed what you are made of, it is surely possible for you to get a complete task. I've heard of many persons who didn't have a degree and are still teaching at any level. However, I think that the major problem is surely the pay. I believe that most of the teachers, which don't have a degree. probaly don't have the same salary of a normal teacher. On the other hand, it is important for everyone to understand that it is possible. If you have this passion, you shouldn't be stopped by this salary issue
oliverover

Unread post by oliverover »

I am currently working as an ESOL teacher in London, the hardest city to find work so soon after completing the CELTA training. I found it very frustrating finding a job that didn't have essential criteria requirements, i.e a degree. The majority of language schools accredited by the British Council don't accept new teachers that aren't educated to a degree level. But after much persistence and last minute cover work I managed to prove myself and avoided any uncomfortable conversations about why I never finished my degree. There is hope after the first hurdle!

I would like to find out more about doing the DELTA. Any help appreciated.