Secondary level mentoring

Use this forum to offer or request TEFL mentoring (helping each other to develop as teachers, teacher trainers, managers and writers).

Moderator: Susan

Secondary level mentoring

Unread postby buniac » 03 Mar 2011, 15:13

Since the beginning of this school year, I have been mentoring five students of secondary three and four. This help is meant to improve their conversation skills since most of them are not confident enough in their English proficiency to talk in an English classroom. I have began the process by showing some common everyday vocabulary that one uses often in a classroom. I have done small activities in class such as discussing with peers about their weekend, their Christmas vacations and so on.

I find it hard to come up with new conversation activities every week. I have been running short on subjects lately and I would be glad if someone could point out things I could teach them to become better speakers. They have a small limited English basis but they are able to distinguish the correct forms to use when writing.

Is there anything I can do to help them transfer these writing skills to conversational skills?
buniac
Registered Member

Return to TEFL Mentoring