Mobile phones in class

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

wordlefan

Mobile phones in class

Unread post by wordlefan »

My sts want to use their iPhones and other mobiles in class for their dictionary apps. I don't have a problem with it but want to set some sort of rule for usage, especially since some of the sts don't have phones. Does anyone have any tips for managing mobile phone use in class? I want to be fair but openminded.
icaolpr

Re: Mobile phones in class

Unread post by icaolpr »

The best way I have found to monitor the cell phone use in class, is to not allow it in the forst place. I ask the sts to either turn them off, or put them on my desk.

Teaching pilots with the ICAO LPR make this hard, so I get them to request a leave of absance from the class if there is a need to answer, if not, they have to wait till the end of the session before returning any calls. EMS pilots have a pager, and this allows them to read the text, and request to return the call.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

I have a firm rule: SS switch their phones off. If I see anyone using one, for anything, they leave the room and don't come back. I also regularly teach the correct use of dictionaries, and I don't do with mobile phone apps.
Damian

Unread post by Damian »

Interesting question. I don't see any problems with Ss using dictionary apps in class, as long as they don't become over-dependent on them and use them properly.

But as for taking calls during class (unless it's a private student), I find this absolutely unacceptable, as it would be during any other public gathering where people are trying to pay attention, such as in the theatre, cinema or library.
tdchris

Unread post by tdchris »

Depends on the age.

I generally trust adults to not be disruptive. Generally they follow this rule, and if not call them out.

Teens will continue to use their phones for texting long after they need dictionaries. I'd handle this on a class by class basis. You are probably better of by banning phones for teens/kids (unless you have a good group)
harrison

Unread post by harrison »

I would agree with banning all cell phone use in class. It's funny how students these days even have their hands on cells as opposed to only 10 years ago when cell phones were so rare. They are an extreme distraction to learning and should be put away at all times.
buniac

Unread post by buniac »

I think cellphones can be great assets but only in certain conditions. When I teach to secondary level students, they are allowed to use their dictionary applications since the dictionaries we use in class and not suited for our needs. Since I use these applications too, I am able to detect when they are using them correctly. They know the rule for cellphones. Even if they are not allowed in classes, I allow them but there are two conditions. There are no cellphones allowed during exams. When there are reading assignments, they are given a list of vocabulary that may cause problem and they have to look it up before the assignment. Second rule : No interaction between students by cellphone. Face to face interaction improves speaking skills. As a young teacher aware of technology, I am able to draw a fair line between what is allowed and what is not in my class.

If one gets caught breaking one of these rules, I will remove the right to use cellphones for the whole class even if only one student brakes a rule. It is not an advantage, it is a privilege they have.
melgaut

Unread post by melgaut »

Nowadays, using a cellphone in school is a really controversial question. Should we allow it or not? Some school boards have added a new school rule about it, some let the teacher decides. As a cellphone user, I think it is a very useful tool. HOWEVER, I would not allow my students to use it in class. Why? In an exam, they may tell you that they were searching a word into their 'digital' dictionary, but in fact they were text messaging to another student of the classroom the answers of the test. There are too many applications that can be added to a phone to believe that your students will only use their dictionary. In addition, it is not everybody that has the chance to own a cellphone so it would not be fair. Finally, what is more disturbing than be disturbed by a cellphone ringtone when giving your lesson?....
aniaLL

Unread post by aniaLL »

Using cell phones in a classroom should not be allowed for any reason. Even though, someone mentioned on this forum that students are allowed to use their Iphones as dictionaries and any other learning tools. In almost every classroom you have many learning tools and devices, so I do not see the reason to allow them to use their cell phones. Moreover, if a student is allowed to check a foreign word in his cell phone, he will definitely start abusing this permission. Using cell phones is strictly prohibited by many schools nowadays. And, I think, this is a good idea!
larryparadine

Unread post by larryparadine »

Another reason for banning mobile phones in class is their potential use for cheating. In Russia, where I live, the introduction of the single state exam for school leavers two years ago was marred by widespread reports of cheating; students took phones into the exam halls, texted the questions to friends (and sometimes to teachers who'd agreed to be their accomplices) and received return messages with the correct answers. (This applied to multiple choice questions, which constitute the usual form of exam questions in Russia; obviously phone message services would be of limited use where exam candidates were required to write essays).

I wholeheartedly agree with members who advocate banning mobile phones altogether from classrooms, but that's easier said then done, and the students' age and status is relevant. Adult students, particularly working adults who pay for their part time education, resent being given orders, so the teacher has to be very tactful; all the same, there will always be someone who flatly refuses to accept a moratorium on calls during class time.
philip

Unread post by philip »

in my opinions mobile phones are not allowed to teh classrooms..because the students come to schools only for learning not for entertaining...sothere is no need for a mobile phones..!!!!!