CELTA and teaching in Italy

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

giulia

CELTA and teaching in Italy

Unread post by giulia »

Hi,

I'm Italian, I have an Italian degree in English (and German) and have lived in the UK (Nottingham) for the last 7 years. I'm planning to move back to Italy in the summer (2011) and would like to teach English there, perhaps in a private school or teaching business English in companies in my area (I'm from Bergamo).
Do you think a CELTA would improve my chances of finding a job out there, and if so, how to go from there? Any experience would be appreciated...
Also, would you recommend taking a CELTA course here in Nottingham or wait and do it in Milano (either at the British Council or at the International House)?

Thank you!
Giulia
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA and teaching in Italy

Unread post by Alex Case »

I don't think it would really matter where you did it, although I suppose there might be a chance of the school in Italy giving you a job after you passed the course, depending on their policy on non-native speaker teachers. Your first step is probably trying to pass the Cambridge Proficiency
giulia

Unread post by giulia »

Thank you, Alex!
depetro

Unread post by depetro »

I have the same problem: Which and where the CELTA. I am a U.S.-born, native speaker of English, Italian Citizen. I want to live and work in Bozen / Bolzano. My bachelor's and master's are from U.S. universities. How can we break into the Italian EFL market?
MilanInglese

Unread post by MilanInglese »

Work privately. That's how you get into the Italian tefl market.

Being Italian, you have to pay for the Italian state education system's faults. Most Italians wouldn't consider taking English lessons with an Italian teacher, because they mostly experienced such teachers at school. I have taught no less than 6 Italian teachers who taught English at school. Not one of them was above B2.

Brian