supply vs demand (teachers vs salary+benefits)

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

steveoh

supply vs demand (teachers vs salary+benefits)

Unread post by steveoh »

I have a Bachelor of Health Science from New Zealand and am looking at doing a Trinity Cert before heading to Asia next year. After spending 3 weeks in China last year I've caught a bug - a travel bug.

According to research I have done on the net there are plenty of jobs however they all state great salary which doesn't appear to be the case. For instance 4000-8000 rmb is not alot of money in China I've been there and have seen the cost of living and comparing your pay to a local manager is misleading as foreigners are generally charged more.

From what I have found on the internet and the responses I have had from schools who are virtually willing to give me a contract via email there is a demand for teachers. However that demand does not appear to fit with the low pay offered.

I think becomming a TEFL would be the best way to gain experience of foreign cultures although I do have financial concerns. Currently I have my own business and earn very good money but Im not happy. I would like to hear from teachers about their careers and wether expectations have been met. I don't expect to get rich doing this but I do expect to be able to live comfortably and save.

please reply where ever you may be
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: supply vs demand (teachers vs salary+benefits)

Unread post by systematic »

Hi Steveoh, welcome on board.

If you want to earn enough money to be able to stockpile some significant savings, then a developing country is not the place to chose to be a teacher, unless you can hit the very top level of that career in say, an international school. A qualified native speaker teacher in Thailand earns around 35,000 baht per month (about 1,000 USD) which is more than adequate for living here - in fact compared with the average thai teacher's pay of about 9,000 baht, it is very good. 35,000 baht here affords a lifestyle that a TESOL teacher in Europe would not be able to enjoy. depending how you look at it, the cost of living is about one third, but a car is slightly more expensive, while a house that would cost £200,000 in the UK would cost about £30,000 here.

In Thailand, an unqualified backpacker may be lucky to earn 25,000 while a fully qualified career teacher with an MEd or a subject BA with a PGCE may command up to 100,000 baht in an elite international school, or doing full-time corporate training at 1,000 baht per hour.

I gave up a media company, a language institute, and a university post in Europe to come and settle in Thailand. I was curious, so I started on the bottom level, but within a year or so and a couple of job changes, I had quadrupled my salary.

If you have the time and don't mind spending the money, certainly do a Cambridge CELTA or a Trinity Cert. . Check any other courses very carefully, and don't hesitate to post a question on this Thailand TESOL forum for any info about teaching in Southeast Asia (moderated by professionals).
Last edited by systematic on 26 Jul 2008, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
steveoh

Unread post by steveoh »

Hey thanks for your reply
So do you live in Thailand and work as a teacher?
Do you work for this website or any teacher training establishments?
I may sound sceptical but most of this industry seems to be made up of those who prepare teachers for work and of course they are all very encouraging as it means more work for them

thanks again
Steveoh
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

Hi,

I can answer one of your questions. Systematic doesn't work for TEFL.net. He's one of our regular users.

Best wishes,

Susan
systematic
Top Contributor

steveoh wrote: So do you live in Thailand yes and work as a teacher? administrator
Do you work for this website no, but try to help out or any teacher training establishments? NO
I may sound sceptical but most of this industry seems to be made up of those who prepare teachers for work and of course they are all very encouraging as it means more work for them
:D
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
steveoh

Unread post by steveoh »

I start my trinity course in two weeks. Judging from my pre-course assignment it's not going to be easy. Funny how we native english speakers learn to speak without knowing any of the rules ie tenses, word orders etc. It is very interesting though and to think I would be able to teach someone to speak a language is motivating. Far more motivating than what I'm doing now! Not being the most confident person I'm not sure how I will go getting up in front of a room full of people I nearly died giving presentations at university however that was all based on b*@#.
systematic
Top Contributor

steveoh wrote: I may sound sceptical but most of this industry seems to be made up of those who prepare teachers for work and of course they are all very encouraging as it means more work for them
Over the last 10 years or so there has bloomed a plethora of course providers; too many for the market now. Some of their marketing is therefore quite aggressive and full of hype, although whom this convinces is an enigma. As mentioned in this forum and elsewhere, in the lack of international accreditation, the schools themselves set the standards for what they deem to be acceptable TESOL certificates.

With your Trinity cert. you have not chosen unwisely, and on this course you will gain all the confidence you need for a professional classroom performance. I wish you the very best of success and hope you will remain on this forum and others with updates of your progress.
steveoh

Unread post by steveoh »

I have just finished my first week which consisted of 3 days and 1 evening. Next week we move to 2 evenings with 1 being teaching practice with real students. Must say I am very impressed so far, the amount of work we have covered is incredible and I have meet like minded people who are positive and enthusiastic.
systematic
Top Contributor

A very encouraging update Steveoh, keep up the good work :D
steveoh

Unread post by steveoh »

It has been a while since my last post but I've been extremely busy with the Trinity course and working full time on top. Had my last teaching practice last Thursday for 90 mins and I must say I enjoyed every minute. Another 3 weeks and I'll be finished the course will try to post before then but will definitely be posting after Dec 15 in another forum. Will update with details here, thanks steve.
netrose

Unread post by netrose »

Working in an International School as a teacher is not that easy. But teachers can earn big salary despite difficulties in teaching students. This is also a nice experienced that enhance their teaching skills.
Stemplar

Unread post by Stemplar »

Hi steveho

I have now been living and working in Thailand for almost 2 years.

I can't really add anything to what systematic has said, he's spot on, but hopefully I can give you some encouragement.

Having a degree will help you greatly and you won't have any problem in finding a job. Just a word on saving though, if you work in say Bangkok or any other large or touristy location then your living costs (and other distractions) will take a massive chunk out of your salary. Until you get the experience to secure a well paid job.

Personally I work in rural Thailand, and I don't mean in a shack in a village of 50 people, its a small town with a large government school. There is everything I need and more, but it does take a while to adjust.

My salary is 30,000Baht I have a great house which I rent for 2500Bt and with my current lifestyle which I'm very happy with I can save at least 10,000Bt a month. To have the same lifestyle in Bangkok or wherever I think I would need to be earning a minimum of 60,000Bt.

Finally, I sold my business in the UK and now I earn much, much less. I'm also much, much happier.

Best of luck

Simon
systematic
Top Contributor

Thanks for that Simon. Any chance of letting the cat out of the bag and saying the name of the town (or at least the name of a nearby big town)? Is it in Isan by any chance?
Stemplar

Unread post by Stemplar »

Hi Systematic

Not a million miles from the Isan region, I'm in Phetchabun province and Phetchabun is the nearest large town.

I'm keeping the town my little secret for now!!

Regards, and the cats almost out of the bag

Simon
systematic
Top Contributor

Probably Lom Sak or somewhere. Know the area well !
samelion

Unread post by samelion »

Hello!
I had, until this year, been employed by a school district part time (2 days/week.) I found the caseload to be untenable (40 kids in 2 days! Plus evaluations and screenings and meetings, etc!)
This year, I decided to try working as an independent contractor and so far, so good. I work 3 days/week in two different districts. If I averaged in a 9 month salary scale (8 weeks for summer vacation, 2 for Christmas, 1 for April vacation, 1 for Feb vacation, I still come out ahead pay-wise.
Its nice, too because I have no duties, I am more able to advocate for myself as far as how many students I can have, and I generally work in districts that are in need of my services so they seem to be a bit more amenable to my requests.
Of course, I get no sick time and I rely on my husband for benefits... but for now, the flexibility and sanity are a blessing!
gillianr

Unread post by gillianr »

Teachers' salaries and conditions are therefore policy malleable factors that can affect both the demand for and supply of teachers.