Course Recommendations Please

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

rhmize

Course Recommendations Please

Unread post by rhmize »

Hi,

I am new to and currently looking for a good TEFL certification course. I was hoping some people could recommend a good course to take. A little backround of myself is I am a current college student majoring in international business and management. I have taken some Spanish and have studied abroad in Spain for a summer. I am not looking to teach English abroad for a career, but rather for an experience of living abroad for a year or two before going into a business career or getting my MBA. Therefore, I may not need the top notch certificate program. One of the programs I was looking at are the Oxford Seminars. They do classes at my University so very convenient. I've heard mixed reviews. The people who say it is good stress that it is a good intro. into teaching English abroad which may be good since I am not trying to make a career out of this. The bad reviews mostly say the lack of in-class teaching is the problem.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks,
Ronnie
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Course Recommendations Please

Unread post by Alex Case »

Do the CELTA. If you can't do it nearby, just go abroad for a month and do it. For example, you can get the course plus accommodation in Thailand the same per hour of instruction as Oxford Seminars (about twice as much for double the length of course).
danielkim

Unread post by danielkim »

I would recommend the same, go abroad you will have an awesome experience I believe. I am personally considering going to Prague (it is really cheap there and it is in Europe - awesome) and I will get TEFL there. My friend is actually there right now and enjoying it very much. I got some positive comments about Caledonian school, so I am considering that one.

Lots of luck!

Daniel
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Caledonian School do not offer the CELTA, they only offer their own TEFL certificate. There's a big difference.