language games

Ideas, tips, discussion

Moderator: Joe

mohamed55

language games

Unread post by mohamed55 »

hi, everybody. I believe language games can make teaching and learnig in class fun. Can anybody suggest a few interesting language games?
Tks. :D
amina

Unread post by amina »

Hi Mohamed,
i agree with you that games play a major role in language learning.
i'm a novice teacher and believe that we might help each other.so here is a game that i personaly tried with my students and found it useful:you can give your ss a small ball,you throw it in random to one of your ss,while catching it, the student has to start talking about a topic that has been delt with previously,he/she has to talk as long as possible,but once he/she feeels unable to continue,he/she has to throw the ball to another student who starts immediatly talking,he/she may add something new to the same topic or speak about a new one.The most important is that ss should speak as long as possible.If one of ss hesitates a lot or is blocked,he/she should be illeminated.
i hope that i make it clear for you,and pleaze'i'd like you and any other teacher to tell me about any activity that suits bigenners(teenagers).thanx in advance
:) 8)
mohamed55

Language games

Unread post by mohamed55 »

Hi amina.
I received your message dated Fri Nov 25, 2005. Tks a lot for responding.
It is indeed an interesting game and I'll try it in class one of these days. As requested, I have an interesting language game that I would like to share with you. Divide the class into 2 groups. Write a long word on the whiteboard/blackboard, e.g. 'information'. Ask the students to create words from the word 'information, e.g. 'in', 'for', 'form', and so on. Each group is given only 1 second to come up with a word for each round. The group that provides the most correct answers will be declared the winner. The teacher has to have a dictionary as a source of referrence. This is a spoken activity and competitive in nature. Have a try.
Regards.
mohamed55
:)