Lesson Plans in General

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

JellyBeans

Lesson Plans in General

Unread post by JellyBeans »

Hi

I'm training to be TEFL teacher, trying to come up with lesson plans and I find, even having just done the course I don't know where to begin.. I need to write up a plan for a large class to teach them the different personality traits and I'm totally lost.

Any advice, example lesson plans and tips for games, activities etc. would be REALLY appreciated.

=)
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Lesson Plans in General

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello,

In order to provide the information you’re asking for, I would need a lot more information on your class. For example, I don’t know the age group or level. These are both important factors in lesson planning.

When lesson planning, you should consider whether your students have encountered the language points before. If so, you will do a brief review of the language points before moving onto activities that have the students using the language. If students have not studied the language before, you will need to do a more in-depth presentation first. As a general guide, you should get the students speaking and using the language as soon as possible. So, aim to keep the presentation short and get the students involved in this part of the lesson. Students should also hear the words and practise the pronunciation before they engage in using the language themselves.

You can present the language using mime or pictures. Then students can describe pictures or people they know using the language. If you ask students to describe people they don’t know, you should also teach them “he looks friendly” and “she seems arrogant”. This is more authentic language to use when you don’t know the person you are describing.

Lucy