mixed class 1-3 year olds

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

sanjajerem

mixed class 1-3 year olds

Unread post by sanjajerem »

I have the opportunity to start teaching english in a newly opened kindergarten which have one mixed group consisting of one 1year old, 2 two year olds, 3 three year olds (I am serious :))) and two 5-6 yos. My idea is not to the 5-6 yos with others - am I right?
But can I work efficiently with others where there is only one tiny one year old and others 2 and three?
Any ideas how to organize the groups and have efficient lesson plans?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!!

Sanja
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: mixed class 1-3 year olds

Unread post by Alex Case »

My first reaction would be not to take the job! Can the one year old even speak his or her own first language yet??

If you only have the option to split them into two groups, I'd put the one and two year old together and the three year old with the five and six year olds. You can drill with flashcards etc from three, but not with 2 year olds. Three groups would be better, with the two year old either with the 1 year old or the 2 year old, depending on how mentally developed they are etc.

The only thing you can do if they are all together or in just two groups is take in a whole load of games, toys and songs and use English with them as you play. They won't learn to produce very much, but they should be able to follow instructions and sing along.
sanjajerem

Re: mixed class 1-3 year olds

Unread post by sanjajerem »

Alex thank you.Yeas I planed to base my lessons on songs, games and stories.