teaching todlers

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

sanjajerem

teaching todlers

Unread post by sanjajerem »

I have started teaching almost three year old group and I had a little problem.
My students are keen on taking the book I am reading to them from me and of course don't want to share it with others. Should I make the rule that only I hold the book and turn the pages (there are only 4 children by the way) or should I perhaps ask each student to turn a page once in a while? They are very young and I know it is only natural that they want to glance through a book, but if I give them a book at the end of the class they will refuse to share it.
I would appreciate any advice.
Thanx

Sanja
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: teaching todlers

Unread post by pokedmund »

I wouldn't try making any rules. They'll just ignore.

Do you read near the end of the lesson? They tend to be more relaxed then after 40-45 minutes of games and tend to sit down and pay attention.

Sit a bit higher than them, and make sure that everyone can see the book. With the odd trouble makers, I usually put my arms on my hips and make the "teacher-is-not-very-happy" look. Worse comes to worse (and with the parent's permission) I sit my daily uncontrollable student/s on my lap and try best to read the book.

Do what you can. I think I've only had 3-4 successful reading lessons, the kids are just too hyper to stay still for too long.
sanjajerem

Re: teaching todlers

Unread post by sanjajerem »

Thanx for your reply. Yeas I read them at the end of the lesson. The books I chose are very short so I say one to two sentences and ask them one to two questions per page so I hope it will work with your additional advice.
Thank you,
Sanja