Resume picture?

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

sqygle

Resume picture?

Unread post by sqygle »

This may be a daft question but I'm just putting together my CV in the hope of finding my first teaching job. I'll be applying for jobs around South East Asia, China, Korea where I hear that appearance is (almost) everything. I know a few people who have had professional shoots done just for the picture on their CV and have heard about the fickle recruiting processes of some employers.

My question is would it be a bad/stupid/inappropriate idea to stick my graduation photo on my CV. I know I probably should go get some visa photos of me in a collared shirt looking professional and all happy and smiley but I hate having my photo taken - I always manage to look either bored or like a grinning maniac. Plus with the stifling heat here I could leave my apartment looking a million dollars and like the professional teacher I intend to be but arrive at the photo shop looking like I was dragged through a hedge backwards!

I do however have some decent, smiley head shots of me from my graduation last year on my computer ready to paste onto a CV and email off. Just wondering if mortar board and sash may be a bit overkill?
Xanadu

Re: Resume picture?

Unread post by Xanadu »

If you submit a photo and it is a good idea to, use a passport size one. Try to look friendly but serious at the same time (I know not easy!). Wear the sort of clothes you would for teaching.
Good luck!
Last edited by josef on 02 Nov 2010, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

The recruiting department of a very large group of 43 independent schools in Thailand, states on its online application form that:

A recent, fairly formal photo, full length if possible. (no holiday or party snapshots).
should be uploaded with the form.

As it is electronic, the dimensions are immaterial, but the file size should preferably not be more than 1 Mb in .jpg file format.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Slightly off topic, but I had to have all my Turkish work permit photos redone because I wasn't wearing a tie! I wouldn't put a full length photo on a CV unless they specifically ask for it, but I would have a passport photo done with smart clothes on. I personally find it easier to look natural facing someone with a camera rather than staring into my own reflection in a passport photo booth. Agree that it is a hideous and hit and miss process, but it must be worth it if that is the thing that gets you the job
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

What puts me off are the pictures I get from girls trying to look as sexy as possible in very scant bikinis, and boys on the beach trying to look cool with dark gasses, a big bottle of booze in one hand, and a big surf board in the other!

They usually go to the bottom of the pile.
I have applications already that throw out electronically submitted applications that come with junk CVs and fake degrees, but I'm still working on a programme that can automatically delete the ones with inappropriate photos!