Shortest TEFL contracts?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

NemoPupa

Shortest TEFL contracts?

Unread post by NemoPupa »

Hello!

I recently completed the CELTA course. I am still waiting the delivery of the certificate but I believe I have passed.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to get TEFL work abroad (outside the UK) for roughly 1 month to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, my circumstances mean that I cannot be away for very long at the moment.

I'm not refering to summer work. I was hoping there might be really short term work available in the first 6 month period of the year. If it is possible, my location prefernce would be Europe.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks in advance!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Shortest TEFL contracts?

Unread post by Alex Case »

Some ski resorts have English schools, as the kids study skiing and English in the same place (poor dears!) Or if you are young enough for a working holiday visa, it will be summer school time in Australia. I don't know any more about either of those, I'm afraid, but Mr Google might
NemoPupa

Unread post by NemoPupa »

That's useful information thank you, I'll look into both of those ideas! Does anyone have any other information? :)
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Most larger cities round the world have high street language institutes or cram schools. They are very often located nowadays in shopping malls too. They don't have to follow the mainstream school holidays, and they offer courses 7/7. As most English language courses are divided into modules of 30 hours or so, you might be lucky and get on to one of those, which lasts for 4 - 6 weeks depending how the school owner has spread the lesson load throughout the week.

You could also find out about extra language courses that mainstream schools offer for their pupils during the various school holidays. As Alex says, Google is one of the first stops on your travels.
Xanadu

Unread post by Xanadu »

There is short term work but it tends to be in the summer months - summer camps or short intensive courses. You might be lucky and find an employer who needs some one to stand in for a while though.