British expat seeks return to UK

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

joolzey

British expat seeks return to UK

Unread post by joolzey »

After teaching ESL abroad for nine years I really want to return to teach in the U.K.
I've taught business English in Germany and low-level English to immigrants in the United States.
I have a TESOL certificate and my experience to draw upon but do I need more?

Given the current economic climate, is it feasible or a realistic expectation for me to return and find ESL work?

I am hoping to settle in London. What is the ESL teaching job market like there?

All I would really like to be able to do is find teaching work in London so I can finish my degree and pay my rent. Am I dreaming?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: British expat seeks return to UK

Unread post by Alex Case »

It depends on what the government decides to do about student visas, but you will probably get a TEFL job. You may well find yourself being paid the same as the school cleaner, however, and with less job security. If you do decide to do it, go back during the summer and do a summer school job in a school that might be able to offer you longer term work. And get your Cambridge DELTA or Trinity Diploma before you go back.
joolzey

Unread post by joolzey »

Thanks, but that isn't exactly thrilling news. School cleaner?
Working for a summer school in the hope they MIGHT offer longer term work sounds tenuous to say the least. Is it a realistic possibility? Funny, there are hundreds of language schools in England.
I don't have a CELTA. Should I get that before a DELTA? Do you think having one makes a big difference?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Average pay is 10 to 14 pounds an hour, but a teacher will only usually do (and be paid for) 24 hours a week, whereas people on the minimum wage could easily do 40 or 50 hours and so be paid more. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. There are 100s of language schools, but there are 1000s or 10s of thousands of TEFLers going back home with no other job skills.

Yes, DELTA does make a big difference. You may be able to get on a DELTA course without doing the CELTA first, it depends on how much teacher development (observations etc) you have had, how well you know basic teaching techniques and jargon (PPP, TTT etc), and how well you know phonemic script and grammar. Phone up or email a local or online DELTA provider and see if they think it is possible for you. If not, do the CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. You will not be able to find a job in a decent school without one.

The point with summer schools is to choose a school where you will be working in or near the main, year-round centre. If the permanent teachers decide to leave in September and you made a good impression, you will be first on the list.
joolzey

Unread post by joolzey »

Thanks for your help, Alex. You didn't sugar-coat it for me and I appreciate that. Next step, DELTA!!