handwriting

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

mrtraveller

handwriting

Unread post by mrtraveller »

Hi everybody,
I am an English teacher. My students' first language is Arabic. They are 14-16 years.
How can I make their handwriting better?
what are the criteria according to which I can evaluate their production?
markc
Rising Star

Re: handwriting

Unread post by markc »

Start by giving them a lot of practice in the class and for homework.
harrison

Unread post by harrison »

Practicing better penmanship is actually something that students really enjoy. Just lots of practice during class will really help--especially something to take time--handwriting is usually just messy because they rush, so if you allow plenty of time to write--it'll help them get better at it. The lined paper with some activities on a bigger board can be helpful and help them gain more interaction with each other.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Teaching older students to read and write is really tricky, as most of the materials for that are for little kids and so totally unsuitable. I'd look for ESOL/ ESL materials or adult literacy materials, both of which are much better than anything in EFL that I have come across. I'd also imagine there's something published locally on the topic, as Saudi students in particular are famous in London for having a reading and writing level far below their speaking one.
philip

Unread post by philip »

doing home work is the best way to improve the handwriting practice can make everything is possible...