Rennert & Other Thoughts [new]

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

alfredmaul

Rennert & Other Thoughts [new]

Unread post by alfredmaul »

This forum helps--thanks for setting it up, whoever you may be, and the moderators for making it happen. I'll try to click on some sponsored links for you guys.

But there's still too much to sift through. Programs abroad that look like jobs abroad, certificate courses, unreliable reviews, etc. To simplify the equation: Native English + Certificate + Job Board + Applying = JOB, one that pays for your airfare, etc. Right?

The certification process seems to be more confusing than finding the job!

I searched for 'rennert' on the forum and had no luck. [commercial link removed - admin] It's WL-SIT TEOSL course which is as good as a CELTA, from what I understand, and the company looks reputable. Any comments?

Also--does taking the course abroad help in any way? I'm currently living in Missouri so I've been looking at certification either online, which I'm a bit skeptical of when it comes to getting a job, or in Chicago/STL, but would taking a course in Africa -- [commercial link removed - admin] -- help very much with getting a job then in Africa [not the ideal location to start your TEFL, from what I understand].

Certificate + Job Boards

I have an English degree and want to teach abroad. As much as I like the idea of the Peace Corps, if I were to do it they would have me teaching--so why not get paid for it?

From what I understand online courses don't help much in the short or long run, since the money you save is offset by a higher salary [which, of course, depends on where you go] and a much better chance at job placement. I may be wrong and, in my hastiness to get abroad -- I'd leave tomorrow if I could -- may go with an online course. *shrug* Most of the reviews for online courses mention getting a certificate but very little about the job afterwards. I'd like to make the 'getting the job' as easy and stressless as I can, which means a better certificate .

Lastly, if you made it to the bottom, for a first time english teacher abroad, are there some countries or locations that would make for a better experience? South Korea seems to be the best fallback as far as reliability, pay, etc.

Thanks and really, sorry for being repetitive. I am looking through older posts, but this was specifically about Rennert before I became all verbose and what not.
josef
Admin

Re: Rennert & Other Thoughts [new]

Unread post by josef »

alfredmaul wrote:I searched for 'rennert' on the forum and had no luck. [commercial link removed - admin] It's WL-SIT TEOSL course which is as good as a CELTA, from what I understand, and the company looks reputable. Any comments?
Have you read our TEFL Training FAQ?
The penultimate para should answer your question.
alfredmaul

Unread post by alfredmaul »

Josef,

Thanks for the reply! I have read it--and it is externally validated [SIT TESOL]. I was merely surprised I couldn't find a mention of Rennert at all on the forum. Apologies for the long post before.
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

I would add that most of the points and assumptions you make are about right IMHO.

A good course will equip you to teach anywhere, and I personally would never advise anyone to tie themselves to a course just because it's in the country they want to teach in or because it offers (nay, sometimes "guarantees") a job afterwards.