Is my lesson plan on the right track?

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

barbi

Is my lesson plan on the right track?

Unread post by barbi »

Hi Lucy,

i am doing my last module of my course at the moment! I have been a little confused with this one, so i really would appreciate any feedback and whether i am on the right track or not. Any feedback would be appreciated!

The question:
To do a 45 minute long lesson plan based on learning vocabulary of popular hobbies and to review adverbs of frequency. The students are at elementary level.

This is what i have so far.......

Following a PPP Aproach
I have chosen to teach new vocabulary.

1) Warmer – snakes and ladders to revise adverbs of frequency from previous lesson. T-S S- T 5 minutes

2) Lead In – Use realia or mime to elicit new vocabulary from students. For example:
• Miming a swimming stroke
• Bringing in a football (football)/paints (painting/art)/shopping bag (shopping).
• Put the answers on the board
• S-T 2 mins

3) Presentation
Introduce to the students the new vocabulary (target language) using I like/don’t like. Try to elicit from the students by asking them ‘’do you have a favourite hobbie?’’
For example: ‘’I like football’’. If this cannot be elicited, feed them to the class. T-S S-T 5 mins.

4) Write the form on the board.
Drill chorally and individually, order to obtain correct pronunciation. T-S 2 mins

5) After drilling, extend activity including adverbs of frequency (in relation to todays topic) Hobbies and verbs. For example, I always, never, sometimes play football. The adverbs of frequency scale is to be used. T-S 5 mins

6) Once presented, each sentence is repeated chorally several times. T-S 1 min
Plenary: Review any doubts. T-S. 1 mins.

7) Individually, using the scale, ask the students how often they do the hobbies (target language). Get students to mark down on the scale their own answers. T-S S-T 1 min
8) Ask students to swap their answers with the person next to them.
Ask the students questions to make sure they understand. For example:
Sarah, does Chloe like to play football and how often does she? T-S S-T 2 mins

9) Controlled Practice

Pair work. Give x 2 handouts

Provide HO (1) a gap filling exercise to each student. Have the students fill out the gaps using the answers from their partner’s sheet. For example

Sarah ....... plays football

Select an answer..... often/always/sometimes S-T 3 mins

HO(2) is for the students to match the new vocabulary with pictures. For example, a picture of somebody cycling should be matched to the bike. S-T 1 min
Plenary: Feedback with the group and correct any mistakes. T-S S-T 2 mins

10) Production
Have the students carry out a milling activity. By asking around different students what they like and don’t like. (Using the target language and adverbs of frequency). At the end of the activity they will be able to see what the most popular and unpopular hobbies are. S-S 10 mins.

11) Plenary. Feedback findings to class. Ask some of the students to share what they had found. S-T 3mins.

12) Homework
For students to ask up to 10 people (friends or family) what hobbies they like/don’t like. (Using target language and adverbs of frequency). Write down their findings and then this can be used in the next lesson during feedback. T-S 3 mins

Thank you
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Is my lesson plan on the right track?

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello Barbi,

I’ve copied your lesson plan and inserted my comments in the appropriate places. I also suggest that you proofread the lesson plan. There are some errors in the language and this doesn’t give a good impression. I’m sure they are things that you know and would usually get correct. I guess your focus has been on getting the lesson plan correct and not on getting the language correct. If this is an assessed piece of work, it will have more impact if the English is perfect!

Best of luck,

Lucy

Following a PPP Aproach
I have chosen to teach new vocabulary.

1) Warmer – snakes and ladders to revise adverbs of frequency from previous lesson. T-S S- T 5 minutes

Comment 1: I would choose a different warmer. Snakes and ladders takes more than 5 minutes to set up and very little talking takes place during the game. You only have to watch children play this game to see how little communication takes place. The communication that does take place does not involve the use of the target language, it’s more meta-language that is used. Unless of course, you have modified how the game will be played.

2) Lead In – Use realia or mime to elicit new vocabulary from students. For example:
• Miming a swimming stroke
• Bringing in a football (football)/paints (painting/art)/shopping bag (shopping).
• Put the answers on the board
• S-T 2 mins

3) Presentation
Introduce to the students the new vocabulary (target language) using I like/don’t like. Try to elicit from the students by asking them ‘’do you have a favourite hobbie?’’
For example: ‘’I like football’’. If this cannot be elicited, feed them to the class. T-S S-T 5 mins.

Comment on 3: What is the new vocabulary or target language that you will be introducing? It seems to me that if you are basing it on students’ hobbies anything could come up. They could also come up with complicated structures. The language of hobbies isn’t always simple: e.g. what verb is used with the activity: go running, play tennis. Do we say swim or go swimming? Etc. At this point, you might lose control of what is going on and find yourself teaching something that isn’t part of your aims. Of course, it is okay for teachers to go with the flow but do you want to do that during an observed lesson? You should also describe how you will feed the language to the class, in the event that you don’t elicit it.

4) Write the form on the board.
Drill chorally and individually, order to obtain correct pronunciation. T-S 2 mins

Comment on 4: What form are you writing on the board? At this stage of learning, the students should know “I like / I don’t like”. The new language will be the language of hobbies: are you going to write everything up? Check your timing here. Will it really take 2 minutes to write the target language on the board? Students always copy what goes up on the board (how much are you putting up there?). You will also need time for the drilling activity.

5) After drilling, extend activity including adverbs of frequency (in relation to todays topic) Hobbies and verbs. For example, I always, never, sometimes play football. The adverbs of frequency scale is to be used. T-S 5 mins

Comment on 5: Be careful here about using authentic language: “I always play football” isn’t very authentic.

6) Once presented, each sentence is repeated chorally several times. T-S 1 min
Plenary: Review any doubts. T-S. 1 mins.

Comment on 6: Check your timing here. If there are no doubts, you have plenty of time. If there are doubts, one minute may not be enough to deal with them. You should also mention how you will deal with those doubts.

7) Individually, using the scale, ask the students how often they do the hobbies (target language). Get students to mark down on the scale their own answers. T-S S-T 1 min

8) Ask students to swap their answers with the person next to them.
Ask the students questions to make sure they understand. For example:
Sarah, does Chloe like to play football and how often does she? T-S S-T 2 mins

Comment on 8: Check your timing again. You may have enough time here, I’m just not sure of what the activity is.

9) Controlled Practice

Pair work. Give x 2 handouts

Provide HO (1) a gap filling exercise to each student. Have the students fill out the gaps using the answers from their partner’s sheet. For example

Sarah ....... plays football

Select an answer..... often/always/sometimes S-T 3 mins

Comment on 9: I’m not sure how much practice students would get from this activity. From what I understand, it seems that they are filling in a gap and so not working out where the adverb of frequency should be placed in the sentence. They are also taking the information from their partners’ sheets. It seems as if this is just an exercise in copying.

HO(2) is for the students to match the new vocabulary with pictures. For example, a picture of somebody cycling should be matched to the bike. S-T 1 min
Plenary: Feedback with the group and correct any mistakes. T-S S-T 2 mins

Comment on 9: This activity is fine but it could be placed at an earlier point in the lesson as it is practising the new vocabulary that will be used throughout the lesson.

10) Production
Have the students carry out a milling activity. By asking around different students what they like and don’t like. (Using the target language and adverbs of frequency). At the end of the activity they will be able to see what the most popular and unpopular hobbies are. S-S 10 mins.

11) Plenary. Feedback findings to class. Ask some of the students to share what they had found. S-T 3mins.

12) Homework
For students to ask up to 10 people (friends or family) what hobbies they like/don’t like. (Using target language and adverbs of frequency). Write down their findings and then this can be used in the next lesson during feedback. T-S 3 mins

Thank you