i am doing my last module of my course at the moment! I have been a little confused with this one, so i really would appreciate any feedback and whether i am on the right track or not. Any feedback would be appreciated!
To do a 45 minute long lesson plan based on learning vocabulary of popular hobbies and to review adverbs of frequency. The students are at elementary level.
This is what i have so far.......
Following a PPP Aproach
I have chosen to teach new vocabulary.
1) Warmer – snakes and ladders to revise adverbs of frequency from previous lesson. T-S S- T 5 minutes
2) Lead In – Use realia or mime to elicit new vocabulary from students. For example:
• Miming a swimming stroke
• Bringing in a football (football)/paints (painting/art)/shopping bag (shopping).
• Put the answers on the board
• S-T 2 mins
Introduce to the students the new vocabulary (target language) using I like/don’t like. Try to elicit from the students by asking them ‘’do you have a favourite hobbie?’’
For example: ‘’I like football’’. If this cannot be elicited, feed them to the class. T-S S-T 5 mins.
4) Write the form on the board.
Drill chorally and individually, order to obtain correct pronunciation. T-S 2 mins
5) After drilling, extend activity including adverbs of frequency (in relation to todays topic) Hobbies and verbs. For example, I always, never, sometimes play football. The adverbs of frequency scale is to be used. T-S 5 mins
6) Once presented, each sentence is repeated chorally several times. T-S 1 min
Plenary: Review any doubts. T-S. 1 mins.
7) Individually, using the scale, ask the students how often they do the hobbies (target language). Get students to mark down on the scale their own answers. T-S S-T 1 min
8) Ask students to swap their answers with the person next to them.
Ask the students questions to make sure they understand. For example:
Sarah, does Chloe like to play football and how often does she? T-S S-T 2 mins
9) Controlled Practice
Pair work. Give x 2 handouts
Provide HO (1) a gap filling exercise to each student. Have the students fill out the gaps using the answers from their partner’s sheet. For example
Sarah ....... plays football
Select an answer..... often/always/sometimes S-T 3 mins
HO(2) is for the students to match the new vocabulary with pictures. For example, a picture of somebody cycling should be matched to the bike. S-T 1 min
Plenary: Feedback with the group and correct any mistakes. T-S S-T 2 mins
Have the students carry out a milling activity. By asking around different students what they like and don’t like. (Using the target language and adverbs of frequency). At the end of the activity they will be able to see what the most popular and unpopular hobbies are. S-S 10 mins.
11) Plenary. Feedback findings to class. Ask some of the students to share what they had found. S-T 3mins.
For students to ask up to 10 people (friends or family) what hobbies they like/don’t like. (Using target language and adverbs of frequency). Write down their findings and then this can be used in the next lesson during feedback. T-S 3 mins