Saxoncourt teacher training

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

Saxoncourt teacher training

Unread postby jonford » 10 Sep 2010, 16:52

I was wondering if anybody has taken the CELTA course at the Saxoncourt teacher training centre on South Molton street and if you can recommend it?
jonford
Registered Member

Re: Saxoncourt teacher training

Unread postby systematic » 11 Sep 2010, 06:03

Hi. As has been mentioned many times on this site, CELTA courses are provided under strict conditions monitored by Cambridge University, and are generally the same everywhere. Check however that course providers are genuine, as scams in the past have revealed that course providers have offered so called 'CELTA' courses, which on completion did not privide a genuine Cambridge CELA certificate. Saxon Court is a trusted provider, and their quality is immediately recognisable through the professionalism and clean, 'no hype, no bullshit' lines of their website.
systematic
Teacher

Unread postby Cauldwell » 14 Sep 2010, 16:46

Hi - I am applying for this course at Saxoncourt and I feel that I am being a bit pedantic but they have asked for payment in advance without an invoice. I am sure I am being overcautious, as I used to work in the accounting sector, but is this typical practice for this industry?
Cauldwell
Registered Member

Unread postby Jo » 14 Sep 2010, 17:54

Like many things, this is not so much a question of what is "typical practice for this industry" as what is "good business practice" full stop.

What exactly do you mean "without an invoice"? They don't want to issue an invoice in advance, or they won't give a receipt on payment? How is payment to be made? If online, many businesses request payment without an invoice, though they would normally issue a receipt, usually by email.
Jo
Admin

Unread postby systematic » 15 Sep 2010, 03:21

Generally, all schools, colleges, universities, and other institutes of learning require pre payment of their fees. In many cases, a face-to-face course will only open when sufficient enrollments to cover costs have been made and paid. If you are paying by credit card whether online or not, you will need neither invoice nor receipt. If you are paying by cheque, the clearance through your bank will be your receipt. If you are paying cash over the counter, I'm sure they will issue a receipt. As holder of a first degree in Business Studies, I can assure you that an invoice is not a customary prerequisite, by all means, for conducting business. As I mentioned before, Saxon Court is a trusted course provider.
systematic
Teacher

Unread postby Cauldwell » 15 Sep 2010, 10:48

Many thanks for both replies, they were very helpful. I am in fact a qualified accountant who wishes to change direction in my life; hence the TEFL. When I have worked previously in companies within or supervising accounts payable, when payment for a service or product was required in advance generally the company would issue a proforma invoice so you could see exactly what you were purchasing. However I take your point the Saxon Court is a trusted provideer. I am paying via a bank transfer. I take your point that I will have evidence of payment but I just wanted some hard copy confirmation of what in fact I was paying for, a proforma invoice would have fit the bill, and that usually does happen in business to business situations in my experience.
Cauldwell
Registered Member

Unread postby pokedmund » 15 Sep 2010, 13:42

If it's on the cambridge esol website, they should be fine. Maybe you can ask if you can pay a deposit first?

I felt the same way when I went to Skola. All i got was a tiny credit card payment receipt. But there were no problems.

Good luck with your change in career!
pokedmund
Gold Member

Unread postby Cauldwell » 15 Sep 2010, 16:46

That is reassuring and thanks for the good wishes!

Saxonxcourt put all the details on an email for me in the end but given all your reassurances and the fact that they are on the Cambridge Esol website, it probably was unnecessary.

When did you do your course with Skola and how do you find teaching?
Cauldwell
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion