Online TEFL course wanted. Already have classroom practice

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

kirstyjay

Online TEFL course wanted. Already have classroom practice

Unread post by kirstyjay »

I tried to make my thread title as descriptive as I could, but ran out of characters... so here goes!

I am currently searching for an online TEFL/TESOL course for my boyfriend. I am already CELTA qualified and we both already work in Primary schools as English Classroom Assistants in Spain. I have been doing it for 5 years, my boyfriend has just started his second year, so classroom practice is not essential.

As we live in the Canary Islands, and there are no accredited TEFL/TESOL providers within travelling distance of our house, plus we both have our work and family commitments, I have been trying to find a good, all-round, course with reputable accreditation for him so that he can acquire some decent TEFL grammar, lesson-planning and theoretical knowledge.

After considerable searching on here, and googling, I have narrowed it down to 3 courses.

LTTC Cert TESOL (120 hrs) @ £255 - NQF Level 4
http://www.access2english.co.uk/london- ... erttefl120

140 hour Distance Learning TEFL TESOL Course @ £395 - NQF Level 5
http://www.tefltraining.co.uk/tefl-courses.html

TESOL-Direct Cert TESOL 150 hours @ £445 - NQF Level 5
http://www.tesol-direct.com/tesol-courses

Bearing in mind that he requires the course for the theoretical aspect and not the practical classroom component, I would be interested in people's opinions of which course they would recommend. Obviously we know that there is no actual accreditation body for online courses, but accreditation is important in some form or another, as he would like the resulting certificate to have decent recognition from employers, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Any unbiased comments, advice, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
kirstyjay

Re: Online TEFL course wanted. Already have classroom practi

I should add that I was looking at the i-to-i 100 hour course, as it has the additional business, large class, one-to-one and YL extra modules included. Their site was recommended by my friend, but after researching it, I'm not so sure of it's value as a whole...
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Hi, I can only speak for the LTTC course as I happen to have a copy of it here on my desk. As a theory based course I find it adequate and well structured. Additional reading is required (list provided). It does insist on a fairly solid acquisition of the IPA which some candidates feel is not entirely necessary, but the module is not unduly difficult and would certainly be useful to anyone intending to teach EFL at a higher level, such as university foundation courses in English. I have hired many teachers who have presented an LTTC certificate. I know of no one who has failed the course.

For the other course providers you have mentioned, please be very careful to check out who actually owns them. The very first thing that should spring to mind is that most certainly, the more hype there is on their sites, the more doubtful the quality of their product is, and some border distinctly on a scam. Thailand, where I have largely located for over 10 years, appears to be a hotbed of such scams.

As you have been having difficulty using the search feature on our forum, my I suggest searching my posts. They are possibly among the most detailed on this subject. I also recommend searching Alex Case's blog here (Tefltastic) for information on some providers - as I mentioned before, it will be an eye opener.
kirstyjay

So... I take it there are no other opinions of the other courses? I would prefer to have feedback on all three if possible, in order to make an informed decision. There's nothing better than personal experience :)
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Kirstyjay » How about giving it just a wee bit more than 24 hrs? ;)