Celta Interview

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

JohnJ

Celta Interview

Unread post by JohnJ »

Hi there everyone!

I am due to attend my Celta Interview tomorrow for a P/T celta course i hope to attend beginning mid September, however i received an email this afternoon that basically said i would not be doing any group interview and i would not have to teach the mini-lesson. I also dont think there will be a written task. Instead there is to be a brief one to one interview. (i have already completed a written pre-course task).

I just wondered if this was normal? How will they be able to judge whether i have any teaching capability if they do not see me teach?

Anyway in case i dont get a reply in time :D i will let you know how it went.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Celta Interview

Unread post by systematic »

Probably 90% of all candidates for a CELTA course have no previous teaching experience. That's basically who the course is for. Generally, any pre course tests or interviews are to establish that you really can use English at native speaker level, have an above average grasp of grammar in the English you use in your own everyday communications, speak clearly without a thick regional accent (or can drop it if you have to), and that your manner and presentation is not going to have all students in a classroom running for cover.
Good luck with your course, it will be hard work but CELTA course providers mostly have a very high pass rate.
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

Hi there,

Had interview on Friday. Todays wednesday and still no word whether i have been accepted.

This is putting me under a bit of pressure because the course starts on the 17th Sept and i need to organise things like booking train and bus tickets in advance (celta course is in another city i need to travel to twice a week). Sorting things with my boss about taking time off work as well for the celta etc. Yep im working at the moment as well though only around 28 hours per week. Organisning my funding also because they would need full payment as soon as im accepted. I wouldnt be able to save as much because ill be spending money on travel and books.

My other plan...is to just to an online tefl, save up more money head out to Taiwan etc (plan on heading out by march 2011) and do a celta there? Or is it better to do a Celta in the UK rather than the country you want to teach in?

thanks!
jonford

Unread post by jonford »

I'm interested in a celta or tesol course and JohnJ your final paragraph has asked my question. I too am interested in doing a course overseas and would like to know if the conditions and qualifications of a course overseas are just as valid and recognised or if a course in uk hold a bit more weight and respect?
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

The main problem for doing the celta to me - is getting the time off work. There isnt a celta centre where i live so i'm stuck having to do some kind of online tefl course.

The solution to this of course is the celta online. Which i am making enquiries about at the moment. From what i hear they are going to start this early 2011.

Also unfortunately this forum doesnt seem to be very active.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Actually, this forum is very active, but for most of the questions you guys are answering we thought you would have searched for the answers that the regular contributors have already provided ::wink:

It makes no difference where you take your CELTA. If you haven't heard from your course provider, and if they don't appear to have a telephone, consider it to be a scam.
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

Well i found out i did get accepted on the celta course :D

But the pack they posted to me has been delayed in the post.

AND i dont think i can do it due to the factors i mentioned above.

So my last throw of the dice reveals the final two options

a) Do an online TEFOL i-to-i etc this year and try to find work in taiwan with that (and degree ofc) early next year.
Then once im settled - at some point do the Online celta?

b) Save up now and in march 2011 do a 1 month intensive TESOL (in edinburgh) so better job prospects. Obviously i would be searching both accomodation and work prior to completing the course (before even starting the course)

Or i could just get flights, a 30 day visitor visa and search for accomodation and work myself. A friend of mine knows someone in Taiwan so they could be willing to help me.
(i guess it would be worthwhile registering on forumosa yeah)

Plan is to leave uk by April-May 2011. (remembering Taiwan's tax situation and that if you stay in the uk for longer than 60 days they want tax for entire year)

what do you think ? :D
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

JohnJ wrote:Do an online TEFOL i-to-i etc this year and try to find work in taiwan with that (and degree ofc) early next year.
There is no such thing as an 'online CELTA'. The CELTA is a classroom-based course, and unfortunately there are currently no providers in Taiwan authorised to offer it. So, if you want to do the CELTA you really need to organise it before you go to Taiwan.
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

Briona wrote:
JohnJ wrote:Do an online TEFOL i-to-i etc this year and try to find work in taiwan with that (and degree ofc) early next year.
There is no such thing as an 'online CELTA'. The CELTA is a classroom-based course, and unfortunately there are currently no providers in Taiwan authorised to offer it. So, if you want to do the CELTA you really need to organise it before you go to Taiwan.

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/what-we-do ... ining.html

:)

I am subscribed to their email bulletin, they expect the online celta to be ready early 2011. Its up to the training centres whether they want to go for it so they can offer it to prospective teachers.

In any case, i think i may be doing a TESOL with The Language Institute in Edinburgh as they have full time courses in march 2011. Anyone heard of them?

thanks!
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

systematic wrote:Actually, this forum is very active, but for most of the questions you guys are answering we thought you would have searched for the answers that the regular contributors have already provided ::wink:
Sorry should have replied to this sooner. Uhmm i'm not permitted to use the search function Systematic :( Thats what it says when i try. (yep i'm logged in)
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

Apologies for that JohnJ. It will be fixed asap. Everybody should be able to search.
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

JohnJ: you should be able to search now. Please PM me if you have any search problems.
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

What?! An Online CELTA course? This is the first time I've heard of anything like this!

Just had a quick 1 minute browse of the FAQ on the online course. Note that candidates will still have to go to a local CELTA centre to deliver the 6 hours of Teaching practice.

I think that if I was to be negative on this, it would be that your tutor won't be able to see you develop as a trainee teacher in class, and only assess you on whats fedback from reports. Plus the opportunity to meet fellow teachers and complete the course together.

Also sounds like a way to access the online market further ;)
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

Josef wrote:JohnJ: you should be able to search now. Please PM me if you have any search problems.
yep its working fine thanks!