from top to bottom based upon experience.
1. Kindergartens pay the most these days in China. If you can find a decent kindergarten, it's a great way to sing-and-dance your way through China.
RMB 8,000 - RMB 16,000 average range.
2. Primary schools can be a challenge. You are actually expected to teach. Either great or awful.
RMB 6,000 - RMB 8,000 (not much range in salary).
3. Junior middle schools and middle schools. Large, large classes unless it is a private school. Often very unruly students and discipline issues. Good camraderie with local staff.
same range as No. 2.
3. Uni's. Light workload, little embargo on outside jobs, so-so housing. The entire range of students.
Wages are the lowest. Don't believe the stories about high end uni job. They don't exist.
RMB 4,000 - RMB 7,000 (the private uni's).
4. Language training centers. A good place to put your life at risk. Some really good, some dreadful, some downright dangerous.
RMB 5,000 - RMB 20,000 per month (EF, Wall Street, etc.).
Lucas above makes mention of RMB 15,000 per month. Beijing / Shanghai IB Schools, private schools, etc., etc. but be careful here too.