How to get pass B or A on CELTA course?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Sparrow

How to get pass B or A on CELTA course?

Unread post by Sparrow »

Hi there,

I am currently doing a celta course in oxford. I am through week one and already at the end of my rope.Do you know how they assess the students. How can you get a pass or pass B or A? I know it is a continuous assessment but what percentage do you need to get a pass B?
Last edited by josef on 25 Nov 2010, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more meaningful subject line
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: celta course

Unread post by pokedmund »

The course modulator should have told you on the first lesson! Sorry, it was about 7 months ago when I had my first lesson, but I am guessing that there wasn't a percentage. I was informed to focus on getting a pass, and not to be to worked up on getting a Pass A or Pass B.

Also, Keep in there Sparrow! I know how you feel at the moment!

Back to the CELTA course. They assess you through the lesson plans and how you teach in class. You will have to work hard on all aspects of English teaching (Teaching Grammar, listening, reading and speaking exercises) and really impress the assessors viewing each of your classes.

In a nut shell, I think you can learn and practise to be a good teacher, but the really great teachers stand out amongst the rest possibly due to other qualities (sense of humour, being approachable, loving their job and the students being able to see that the teacher loves his/her job) and I guess most importantly, the assessors seeing that the students have learnt something new in the your classes.

Good luck for the rest of the course Sparrow!
subaru

Re: celta course

Unread post by subaru »

Most celta grad get a pass. Its exceptional for a newbie to achieve a B or even A. Its all about enthusiam, they never want to fail you and most providers will help you with good feedback if your weak.

Peace
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: How to get pass B or A on CELTA course?

Unread post by Alex Case »

Are you American by any chance? I found that some of my American trainees were utterly depressed by the chance of getting a C for the first time in their lives, but that's the British system (or at least used to be), only 5% of people get an A in British exams. Also, if you were doing another practical course like a CELTA, would you naturally expect to get a B or A in juggling, rally driving, or knitting? For some of us, the skill just takes longer to develop
newstudent

Unread post by newstudent »

I am at the very start of my career, and indeed am not starting my CELTA training until 2011 but have spent the last few months researching the EFL industry. Having read Sparrow's question, I wonder whether s/he is asking for this information for a particular reason based on my recent experiences: I have spent the last couple of months researching course providers, and during a college open day that I attended for prospective CELTA students, I spent some time talking to the other students. A couple of these people told me that they had been researching employment opportunities very thoroughly, and amongst the intelligence they had gathered was that certain language UK schools were showing a preference for International House-trained teachers [who for some reason were felt to have been trained to a higher standard],and that there were some other UK schools who were now anxious to employ CELTA graduates with a B or an A because such teachers would require less support. The theory [as I understand it] appeared to be that because of the recession, schools were coming under increasing financial pressure, and one way of saving money was by having teachers who could be 'up and running' from the start with minimal supervision.

I am aware that the EFL industry is full of 'urban myths' but I do wonder whether there is some truth in the foregoing? For my part, I would be delighted with a Pass, and I was originally under the impression that 'a CELTA was a CELTA' and it did not matter where you studied for it...and therefore I would be interested in other people's views.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Because it is very rare, having a B or A does indeed give you a great advantage when applying for jobs against people who have the same amount of experience. Generally, though, teaching experience is much more important. For example, someone with a year's experience is more employable than someone with a B and no experience. As few if any schools in the UK employ people with no experience, how many years you have been teaching and the kind of teaching you did (e.g. IELTS experience is usually relevant) is much more important than getting an A.