I have no idea what to do

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

morethansam

I have no idea what to do

Unread post by morethansam »

I have a degree in English Literature. I'm English. I'm 20.
I really want to teach in another country, preferably in the East. I have about £1000 saved up and I'm willing to spend that. I want the placement to be long, I hope that it can be renewed too.

There are too many TEFL sites... I have no idea which ones are good/bad. I don't know whether it's better to go through an agency that teaches you the course and places you or better to do the initial course and then search for a job by yourself.

All I want to do is teach. I don't want to travel. I'll work silly hours for silly pay. I just want to do this, but I don't know how even though I spend so much time researching it. Can someone just tell me how to do it? It's difficult, all these posts are like 'you could go here' 'click on this site'. What is the best, least cost and has a long working period?
HelloKitty

Re: I have no idea what to do

Unread post by HelloKitty »

Hello

I have just signed up with http://www.i-to-i.com/
Im doing the 140 hour combined course and if you book before 31 July its only 399.00 :) Which is great because the others I found were in excess of 1200.00!!!

You do 20 hours practical & they email you the rest.

Let me know how you get on
nstodi

Unread post by nstodi »

Please be aware that ONLINE training courses are rarely accepted. If you look through pages such as www.tefl.com you will notice that most Jobs are offered to those who can provide certificates obtained through 'proper' schools. I myself have done the CELTA course and I can only recommend it. It may be very expensive but the information and practical experience you gain there is invaluable.

Maybe have a brwose through the internet first and then decide what you want to do. Dont sign up to a course without having researched the centre and its reputation first.

Good luck
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Also browse through the pages of our forums here , and use the search feature - there is a wealth of information!
JohnJ

Unread post by JohnJ »

nstodi wrote:Please be aware that ONLINE training courses are rarely accepted. If you look through pages such as http://www.tefl.com you will notice that most Jobs are offered to those who can provide certificates obtained through 'proper' schools. I myself have done the CELTA course and I can only recommend it. It may be very expensive but the information and practical experience you gain there is invaluable.

Maybe have a brwose through the internet first and then decide what you want to do. Dont sign up to a course without having researched the centre and its reputation first.

Good luck

The problem with doing celta/tesol is you pretty much need to stop all work for a month or 3 ish months if part time. I'm not rich i need to work to live. I dont know many employers that would let you take this amount of time off. Also there are no celta centre where i am so i am scuppered :(