Motivation

Teaching ESL to adults

Moderator: Joe

Rosa

Motivation

Unread post by Rosa »

Hi everyone!!
My name is Rosa.I am a TEFL Teacher in Spain. I teach english to adults in companies in madrid. The thing is that though they are interested in this language a lot,they do not study anything at all. Can you help me ? Thanks a lot.
benjuligri

getting motivated

Unread post by benjuligri »

Hi,
In order to get the students motivated, you have to be extra motivated. Have you tried games? Or getting them to do stuff that makes them move around the room? There are some great ideas in the English File book series published by Oxford.
schetin
Rising Star

Unread post by schetin »

Hi Rosa,

Actually, extra-motivation isn't necessary. You should remember that you lead them, you must be able to do everything you need from them with them, together. Practice shows that whatever students do on their own spoils the outcome. Never leave them alone, work together with them. This concerns adult students in the first place. I'm sure you will notice that they will warm up quicker each time if you work together, even once a week. And more than once a week, if a lesson is efficient, is rather harmful than helpful. So, in a way, adults are easier to work with than youngsters. Good luck and welcome if any questions arise.

Regards,

Slava
TeacherJoe

Principles of Motivation

Unread post by TeacherJoe »

Hi Rosa,

I have some ideas for motivating students (http://www.teacherjoe.us/TeachersMotivate.html) which I put on my web site. These are things that have worked for me. Let me know if they work for you too.

Joe
VenusEnvy

Unread post by VenusEnvy »

TeacherJoe,
I took a look at your website and your ideas are great. Thanks for them. Your second principle says "Clear Goals and Instructions." I'd like to add something to that.

I've had the same problem as you, Rosa. Students didn't do their homework, they came to class late or were absent too frequently.

Here are some ideas about how to get your students more focused:

1. Make students responsible for their own learning. At the beginning of the class focus on goal-setting. Sometimes when the students think about and identify their own goals, they are more likely to take them seriously. How do you set a goal? What is attainable and what is not? What can you expect to achieve? What are the steps to reaching your goal? What are possible obstacles?

Every week, as the students to revisit their goals. Are they taking steps to reach them? What are they doing THEMSELVES?

2. Try to cater to your students' different learning styles. Afterall, students learn and are motivated in different ways. Try to incorporate multiple intelligences into your teaching.

Have students complete a "learning style" quiz to determine what style of learning is best for them. If the class is big enough, you can have the students try and find the person who has a similar style to him/her. They may discuss what they like, what they don't like in their learning.

These are just a couple of ideas. I hope they've helpd! :)
rainbow4

Unread post by rainbow4 »

There are some great tips here. I would also recommend keeping the subject matters real when teaching adult learners. For example relating the topics to current events or issues that interest them whenever possible.
Naturally it depends on the language ability of the student, but meaningful activities stimulates interest and a willingness to engage more fully.