How hard is a TEFL course?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Mariann

How hard is a TEFL course?

Unread post by Mariann »

How hard is a TEFL course (just a basic one) in general?
Lucas
Rising Star

Re: How hard is a TEFL course?

Unread post by Lucas »

It depends on the course provider. The most basic courses are online with no practicum. A 100-hour course costs around $300 and you can complete everything in three weeks if you study full-time. Trinity CertTESOL, CELTA, TESL Canada, SITTESOL are intensive courses and there are also local 4-week courses, of which the standard and difficulty varies among course providers.
Mariann

Unread post by Mariann »

Thanks Lucas, I'm thinking about an online course, that can't be too hard, right? (I've got no other option, living in the middle of nowhere...) I'm sure I can do a weekend course at a later time in addition to my online certificate. Thanks again for your reply.
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Hello,
It depends on the course provider. The course should not be easy and you should practice lesson planning, which can be overwhelming to those who are looking for a quick and easy certificate. Also, instead of a weekend course, you need to take a practicum module where you observe a real class and spend some hours teaching.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. A basic TEFL course is a 100 to 120 hour course with at least 6 hours of observed teaching practice. Anything less is like calling an hour course in first aid a "basic nursing qualification"

The easier the course is, the harder your first job will be

Having said that, it is more a case of dedication than intellectual strain, with the possible exception of learning grammar rules and the phonemic script. The dedication needed is also why you need classroom hours
Mariann

Unread post by Mariann »

Thanks to both of you. In my case I think I'll be fine with just a basic 80 hour online certificate for the beginning. I'm not a native speaker and I only want to test and challenge myself. I'm becoming a british citizen next week and I think I should speak the language perfectly ( or really well...) ILA Scotland is funding my studies up to £200 so this online course (£195) is gonna cost me nothing basically. And hopefully in the future I'll be able to benefit from it, wherever life takes me. Thanks again for Lucas & Alex