dramas vs soap operas

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Latinlover

dramas vs soap operas

Unread post by Latinlover »

I'm teaching adults in Japan about Soap Operas and would like to know what's the difference between dramas and soap operas. I've thought of soap operas appear during the daytime and dramas appear during the evening. Any other differences (mainly about soaps an dramas in Japan)?

Why are soap operas popular?

Any ideas would help. Thanks!

Manny
josef
Admin

Re: dramas vs soap operas

Unread post by josef »

All soap operas are dramas (in the loosest sense of the term) but not all dramas are soap operas.

A soap opera is a particular kind of drama, always in series format, and typically documenting the daily lives of the same group of characters.

Don't know about Japan but in the UK soap operas usually appear day-time and early evening.

Why are they popular? Perhaps because they don't require any thought :)

Why are they called soap operas? No doubt you know it's because the earliest ones (in the USA) were sponsored by soap manufacturers.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: dramas vs soap operas

Unread post by systematic »

TN wrote:Why are they called soap operas? No doubt you know it's because the earliest ones (in the USA) were sponsored by soap manufacturers.
Is,that a fact? Well, well, and I thought it was something to do with kitchen sink stuff like on going domestic drama. One lives and learns!