Certification to teach TOEFL, IELTS etc

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

taxiorlando

Certification to teach TOEFL, IELTS etc

Unread post by taxiorlando »

Can anybody tell me if it's worth learning and getting certified on HOW TO TEACH either the TOEFL, IELTS, or any other test of English? Appreciate your help.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Certification to teach TOEFL, IELTS etc

Unread post by systematic »

Which particular courses for getting certified for teaching IELTS and/or TOEFL did you have in mind?
taxiorlando

Unread post by taxiorlando »

Sorry but not sure what u mean. In the TOEFL are u referring to the IBT, PBT? Just was wondering if it´s worth spending the money in any of it? I hear-read that a lot of people take the TOEFL but here in Spain i don´t see it. Can´t even find someone that will certify me for it. Thanks.
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

Your first question seems to be about whether it's worth taking a course to get certified to teach TOEFL or IELTS or any other test of English.

I think what systematic is asking is which particular course you were thinking of taking.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

AS far as I know, there are no courses for training teachers how to prepare students for TOEFL.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

To become an IELTS examiner, you will need to take the course (if that's the right word- usually called "standardisation" I think) run by experienced IELTS examiners, usually meaning at a British Council. This is free I believe, but you have to agree to do a certain number of tests per year and it is very difficult to get on the course, meaning you will need experience of teaching it and often a Diploma level qualification.

To teach IELTS, however, there is no such thing as a certification and every school will recruit teachers in their own way. It can't hurt to know as much as you can about the exam and how to teach it, but there's plenty of stuff on the internet about that