Advice please! Which company should I use for my TEFL?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Sambob

Advice please! Which company should I use for my TEFL?

Unread post by Sambob »

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping you can help, I (like many other on this formula!) am becoming increasingly confused trying to find out which company to do my TEFL with.
I've decided I want to do a 3 day TEFL so to have more teaching time but am unsure of who to do it with.

From my research i've come to the conclusion that, their is no set level of TEFL qualification. It seems everyone use's a different body to accredit too. Leaving me thinking who should i go with and more importantly who should I trust?!
(I found this link from a previous post very helpful, although am now more confused! http://teflaccreditation.wordpress.com/ ... ns/actdec/)

In your collective expeirence, what classes has a accredited TEFL course (outside of the UK) and what questions should i be asking the course provider before signing up?

Any helps, advice, links to previous similar posts or sites would be a massive help!

Thank you!
josef
Admin

Re: Advice please! Which company should I use for my TEFL?

Unread post by josef »

You might like to start with our TEFL Training FAQ.

Also, is there a specific reason you want to do a "3 day TEFL", which barely qualifies for the term "course"?
Sambob

Unread post by Sambob »

Thanks for the link!
Had a look through but wanted to see if anyone had any experience or advise on the matter.

I'm set to leave this year but not reaching my teaching destination untill 2012 and am unclear of where i will end up teaching (Am travelling for over 18 months and will no doubt decide along the way, most likely asia.)
My approach is to do a 3 day TEFL before i go to introduce myself to the whole thing, work through some online course along the way (am stopping in several countries for a few months) and then went i stop in my teaching destination go through the full course.
From looking around it seems that people who train in country, do so more specific to that countries teaching requires so are therefore more likely to secure work within that country. It's all still up in the air but so far this is how i think am going to approach it. Bare in mind I'm completely new to this but any feedback on my "plan" is welcome!
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

If you train in an English-speaking country you will likely have teaching practice with students from all parts of the world and therefore be unable to use L1, a major benefit. The idea that training in-country will help you secure a job in that country is a marketing ploy by course providers in those countries and stands up to very little examination. A good, professional course will equip you to teach English to Martians. Think about it. What would happen if you left that country to teach elsewhere. Would you suddenly be disadvantaged? Not if you have done a serious course.
Sambob

Unread post by Sambob »

Thanks for the reply!

Whats L1? I've never come across this before.

With regards to the training in country, this is someone i've come across from talking to people who have actually done so i know it's possible but appreicate your comment on moving into other countries.

Could you suggest any course's or anyone to go with?
josef
Admin

Unread post by josef »

L1 is TEFL jargon: first language.

If you train in let's say England your students for teaching practice are likely to come from several different countries. Potentially you could have 12 students in a class, each from a different country/language. It is therefore virtually impossible for you to be tempted into using their first language, and everything must be explained, instructed, conversed in English. If you train in let's say France and you happen to speak French there might be a temptation for you to sometimes use French (L1) as a kind of shorthand - no doubt great for your French, but nobody learns English by speaking French.

If you can teach English to 12 students who speak 12 different languages you can teach it to Martians. IMHO, if there is ANY advantage to training in the country where you plan (first) to teach it is very localized and extremely short-lived.

I'm not saying that you absolutely must train in an English-speaking country, just that you shouldn't allow yourself to be hoodwinked by a half-baked idea :)

Btw, you'll find L1 and other jargon in ELT Terminology.