General Employment Prospects (Credit Crunch!)

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

CuriousGeorge

General Employment Prospects (Credit Crunch!)

Unread post by CuriousGeorge »

Howdy,

I'm currently researching into becoming an English language teacher and I must say it's a confusing field! After spending several days reading up on the different type of qualifications available I've come to the conclusion that the CELTA is the most widely recognised qualification for someone new to the world of TEFLing. Great, except CELTA is also far more expensive than some of the other courses. However, if you're going to do something do it right so I intend on pursuing this qualification.

Right now I'm in college and I'll finish in June, however graduation will not occur until late September or early October. What I'm wondering is:

Most schools I've read about require a degree for me to teach there. Do I have to wait until I've actually received the paper certificate of my degree or is it possible to start earlier even though I don't officially graduate until October.

Secondly, and most importantly, what's the current jobs market for an inexperienced TEFL teacher?
The CELTA course costs a lot of money, and if I can't get a job with that would be a tremendous waste of nearly €1500. I'm not getting into this to make my fortune (I'd make much more money pursuing my current field of study) and I don't harbour any illusions of sitting on a sunny beach sipping cocktails between classes, but I really don't want to waste my time training for an area which is being hammered hard by the global recession.

Part of me feels tempted by these companies such as i to i which promise guaranteed employment and a much less expensive course, however I also know if something seems too good to be true it probably is which is why I look at them with a lot of scepticism.

But anyway, enough of my ramblings, I would love to hear from some of you experienced folk in the TEFL market, hopefully to soothe my fears!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: General Employment Prospects (Credit Crunch!)

Unread post by Alex Case »

You will need your degree certificate for any countries where you need a degree to get a visa, e.g. most Asian countries. If you have an EU passport and work in the EU, the degree is more to impress(?) your employers and they might accept other proof

Anyone can guarantee you a job as long as you aren't too fussy, especially about which country you go to, so please give your money to me instead of i to i! With CELTA and doing your own job hunt you will also have more choice
Sunriser

Unread post by Sunriser »

Thanks for this information. I am also planning to work abroad next year. I am a degree holder with good scholastic records.

Simulation pret
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

If your degree certificate has not yet been issued, in many cases a TRANSCRIPT will suffice. The downside is, that some governments might want to see a translation of it into their local language before they will issue a visa.
I offer any information or advice 'as is' and hope that it has been of help. I am not an admin of this board, and my postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the board management.
elaineitaly

Unread post by elaineitaly »

Hi,
I found a good way of making a few extra quid when I was working as a TEFL teacher In italy, I reccommended to my students who wanted to study abroad, to a language school in Ireland, who paid me a good commission at no extra cost to the student. Of course you do not have to be a teacher to do this work..but it helps as you are in constant contact with students.
Other wise a bit of private teaching is always handy mak eup some flyers and hand them out around the university..you are bound to get someone.
elaine
seanaway

Unread post by seanaway »

Elaine has a good point. I've learned the hard way to make sure I have extra income when I teach. Extra teaching is ok but there are only so many hours you can teach - I set up my own online business so that I can limit my hours without capping my ncome.

John