Having a career with a CELTA course??

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Hudds

Having a career with a CELTA course??

Unread post by Hudds »

Hello,

I will graduate soon with an English Language & Linguistics degree. A CELTA course + teaching EFL is really appealing to me. However I'm a little concerned with the available jobs in London (moving abroad is an option, but not at the moment). I've found a list of schools in London that teach EFL, but I'm just curious about (a) the demand of EFL teachers in this country (b) the pay (is it the same as working in a state school?) and (c) the longevity of teaching EFL because there seems to be a lot of part-time teachers, is this because there is not a 'strong need' for them? This worries me as I am hoping to make a career out of this.

Thanks for your time!!
seanaway

Re: Having a career with a CELTA course??

Unread post by seanaway »

Hi Hudds

Iposted a reply here a while ago but it never appeared so I hope it does this time. I can't answer specifically for London but in general most schools like teachers to have at least some experience of ahving lived and worked abroad. That said your qualifications might just open the doors for you.

State Vs Private pay, well rarely are they equal. State usually pays better and has better terms and conditions of employment.

If you're going to make a career out of this then I'd suggest you sit down and decide where you would like to be 5 years from now. It's VERY easy to just drift along in this business.

I thinkk your studies will open doors to somechoice jobs very quickly if you put the effort in and learn the ropes of classroom teaching.

hope this helps

John
Hudds

Unread post by Hudds »

Thank you John for your reply, it was helpful!
seanaway

Unread post by seanaway »

you're welcome and best of luck