Like pulling teeth

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

chadteacher

Like pulling teeth

Unread post by chadteacher »

I'm at a high school and my students are at a very low level. Sometimes I wonder if they understand anything at all that comes out of my mouth. Is it a good idea to just throw the text book away and almost start over for them? Some of them can barely string together three words. I want them to learn, but I also want them to enjoy it. Any ideas?
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: Like pulling teeth

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Take it right down. I was in a similar position once with one particular class so I went right back to basics. It worked as well.
YaoKB

Unread post by YaoKB »

Hello, Chadteacher

I agree with taking it right down. I'm guessing that it's not only their English that's low, but also their attitude towards school and learning. So, use pictures, realia and other authentic materials to engage the learners even more. It's worked for me with a 6th Grade class. Social Studies topics can really appeal to teens who perhaps think they know a lot about life, people and the world around them. Discuss (to the best of their ability) culture, language, where people live, how people make a living, current affairs...

Hang in there! Better to have you pulling their teeth for the right reasons than them literally pulling yours for the wrong ones.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

This article on TEFL.net might help:
Speaking games for (false) beginners