65yo American/British citizen seeks advice on TEFL in Europe

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

DeeDeeC

65yo American/British citizen seeks advice on TEFL in Europe

Unread post by DeeDeeC »

Hello,

I am 65, have dual citizenship (American/British), had a 30 year career in librarianship and in January I began teaching ESL to 25 adult immigrants from 11 countries in a local college's adult education program. I absolutely love it. I feel this is something I was born to do and would like to do for another 5-10 years of my life.

I strongly desire to work and live in Europe. I would like to work part-time, either with an organization or as an independent contractor, teaching adults. In 2008 I backpacked for a month in Spain (I say this to show that, tho I'm 65, I'm not a big wimp). And, although I don't think I'm a wimp, I am seriously concerned about my ability to do a 50-hour-a-week intensive CELTA program.

Here's my questions: 1) has any other older person successfully completed the CELTA? (Could you let me know how it was?)
2): would I have serious difficulties in finding (part-time) employment, either with an organization, or as an independent contractor?
3): would an ACTDEC or College of Teachers-certified on-line program be worthwhile (considering that I have had SOME experience)? What if I took an online program that had an on-site teaching practicum?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to anyone who can help me work my way through this. I've been thinking about this/researching this for months and I need to do something soon!!!
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Need to take action. Don't know what to do!

Unread post by systematic »

Hi DeeDeeC ,

Some answers that I hope will help:

1. I have instructed on many TESOL courses that had candidates aged 60 - 70. They all passed.

2. There should be no problems finding employment in Europe. European laws do not allow employers to disadvantage people because of age, gender, or disabilites.

3. As regards the ACTDEC or College of Teachers accreditations, please visit someof the extensive discussions on this board. Search the site also for threads that discuss the merits of face-to-face vs. onlinecourses. You will then be able to draw your own conclusions.
DeeDeeC

Re: 65yo American/British citizen seeks advice on TEFL in Eu

Unread post by DeeDeeC »

Thank you systematic for your reply. Because of a variety of complications, I'm going to take an online course. I've studied this extensively and am aware of strong opinions against online courses; however, at this time this is the best course of action for me. Perhaps in future I'll take the CELTA.

I don't believe I'm being overly optimistic (and I hope I don't sound brash and cocky) but I believe that my one year of teaching experience (as of 12/10), combined with transferable skills (30 years as a librarian and 30 years as an actor in stage productions) will provide me with enough opportunities to get my foot in the door, even if it's just working as an independent contractor. I may be proven wrong, but this is the way I'm going to go (for now at least). If nothing else, the online course will make me a better teacher at my current job and it could be very valuable as a preparation for future CELTA.
systematic
Top Contributor

You didn't mention it in your original post, but do remember that you will need a university degree if you wish to teach in mainstream schools.
DeeDeeC

Unread post by DeeDeeC »

yes, thank you. I have a masters in library science.
systematic
Top Contributor

More than sufficient :)
seanaway

Unread post by seanaway »

Hi

You shouldn't have any trouble with your online ACTDEC in Spain especially if you take an onsite follow up. Teaching privately will get you some students in the bigger towns but you won't live on the money. Anywhere in particular you are thinking of working in Europe?
John