Is my B.Ed useful for TEFL?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

nickb

Is my B.Ed useful for TEFL?

Unread post by nickb »

I recently just finished a program where I received a B.Ed degree in foreign language education with and an A.B in French. As part of my requirements for the B.Ed, I taught high school French under the supervision of a teacher for around 14 weeks. I don't have any teaching experience past what was required for my degree.

There was also a combination for the B.Ed in Foreign language and a second degree in English, but I figured that the most important thing would be the education degree and teaching experience, so I wanted to take the chance to earn a degree in a language I like other than my primary language, since I already speak English. What kind of prospects would someone in my shoes have for securing a job teaching English (or even French, if I could, but I bet I'd face fierce competition with French natives..) in Europe? What countries should I look into? What are the challenges I'd face?
Last edited by systematic on 04 Jun 2010, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Impr. title for easy reference
nickb

Re: Are my qualifications useful in TEFL?

Unread post by nickb »

Also, I should point out that I am a US Citizen.
nickb

Unread post by nickb »

Anyone? What path should someone in my shoes take?
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

Your biggest challenge would be to obtain a work permit without a EU passport. Some options available for US citizens are the Czech Republic and Germany. You may be able to find a job with just your B.ed so look around.
nickb

Unread post by nickb »

Given the choice, I'd choose Germany (unless it was Prague!). I'd just hate to have to pay the cost for a CELTA/Trinity cert after I've already received a B.S.ed in FLE. What would be a good way to look around and approach people for positions for non-EU citizens in Germany?
Lucas
Rising Star

Unread post by Lucas »

For any job in Europe, you need to reside in the country of choice and apply in person, unless you find a job ad in one of the TESOL/TEFL related websites and you can send your resume by e-mail. Never give money to an agency or school for job placement assistance or for a work permit.
nickb

Unread post by nickb »

Would anyone happen to know anythin of Qatar/Kuwait requirements?
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Is my B.Ed useful for TEFL?

Unread post by systematic »

That's a different topic Nick. Try posting in the Asia employment section.