TEFL Online Recommendations?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

mmevd

TEFL Online Recommendations?

Unread post by mmevd »

I am an American living in France near Geneva, Switzerland. I live in the countryside therefore online courses are best suited for me. I am a legal resident of France. I have been tutoring English but soon I will be teaching English. I don’t have any experience teaching English (only music). I am searching for the best online, affordable TEFL course in order to better prepare myself. Can anyone make any recommendations? Also, does anyone know if there are any TEFL online courses that teach the method “Headway”?
Thanks in advance.
mmevd

Re: TEFL Online Recommendations?

Unread post by mmevd »

OK so I have decided to go with either iCAL, ITTO, OnTesol or just give up on the idea. I am dizzy from reading all the forums, websites, reviews, accreditations, and blogs. Does anyone have any recommendations or criticisms before I make my final decision?
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

When it comes to online courses you will always find as many negative reviews online as positive – only you can decide which course sounds right for you.

Of the three you've mentioned, I have only heard of iCAL but that's probably because one of their people pimps his courses in response to almost every thread on every TEFL forum I've read! Personally I took an online course with i-to-i. I was very happy with it and had an extremely helpful tutor. I believe however that the format of the course has changed since I took it, and that you no longer have one dedicated tutor. Instead your work is marked by whichever tutor gets to it first, which may or may not be helpful.

As mentioned on your other thread, 'Headway' is not a method but a series of coursebooks published by Oxford University Press. It is therefore not something you will be taught on a TEFL course. You might find it helpful to buy one of the coursebooks to see how the lessons are structured.

Briona
mmevd

Unread post by mmevd »

I have to say that I was really surprised and annoyed by all the competitiveness by reps on this forum. It did more harm than good. Thanks again!
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

Following suggestions from many TEFL.net members, you'll find that since about mid April there has been a marked absence of promotional posts by course providers. Thanks to all for confirming that the new policy is a welcome move, and thanks to Briona for the detailed and informative post.