Chances of good employment for non-native speaker?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

jothegreat

Chances of good employment for non-native speaker?

Unread post by jothegreat »

Hi there,

I am currently considering taking up a CELTA course while I am in London and perhaps venture into the English-teaching world in Europe. However, after reading some posts on this forum, I see that that prospect is close to impossible seeing as I would need an EU passport. But nevertheless, there's still a huge world out there for me to discover.

Alright, so here are my main concerns.

Seeing as a CELTA certificate is nowhere near cheap, will it give me an edge against other EFL teachers out there?

I am a Malaysian Chinese but I've been speaking English since I was born and have extensive experience writing for national English papers/magazines here. I also possess a BA in Communications where the entire course was conducted in English.
My skin colour is obviously not white, and I hear that that's not a good sign if you want a English-teaching job where everyone looks for a 'native' speaker. I consider myself one, but will the world consider me as one?

What are your thoughts on this?
Where in the world would be more accepting to non-American/British/Australian/Whites?
and lastly, will a CELTA certification help?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this. It'll help me figure out my life! :)
seanaway

Re: Chances of good employment for non-native speaker?

Unread post by seanaway »

Hi Jo

You've run into a problem that many teachers in your position run into. The CELTA will certainly help you find a job - the trick will be not to be too choosy about where you get it. I would suggest you apply to several schools in several countries saying that you are expecting to finish your Cert by (for example) August and would love the opportunity to work in .... (Mexico, Cuba, China etc...) Look at the replies you get and it will give you an idea as to your prospects. That way you can make a more informed decision before you pay for the course.
Hope this helps.

John

'You can't put a price on a good teacher.
Last edited by josef on 09 Jun 2010, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed commercial link