Recommended course (online?) for private teaching?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

idorsevel

Recommended course (online?) for private teaching?

Unread post by idorsevel »

Hi,

I am interested in Private teaching overseas, including Israel, however I have not done any courses in the past for teaching, which course do you recommend? and, would online courses work for me? I have done a few lessons/tutoring and really enjoyed seeing the students progress.
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Private Teaching

Unread post by systematic »

When you say private teaching, do you mean one-on-one, or simply teaching in the private sector, as opposed to state schools? Whichever is your goal, I would thoroughly recommend getting some formal training. Do check out the numerous threads on this subject - it's one of the most hotly debated on this site.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

There is a useful article here on teaching Private Lessons which may help. And yes, you should get some kind of qualification if you are going to teach!
Xanadu

Unread post by Xanadu »

Do an acredited TEFL course of 100-120 hours including practical experience. Other courses such as online ones don't count for nearly as much.
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

That may be true, nevetheless it varies from employer to employer. Much depends however, on one's budget and availability, and how long one intends to be a ESL teacher and at what level, and in what kind of establishment. By searching this board, you will certainly gain some valuable insight from the wealth of comments by other posters.