WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET A TEACHING JOB?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

charity

WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET A TEACHING JOB?

Unread post by charity »

Hi , so i am just one module away from being a qualified English teacher although their are a few questions i would like to ask and i would like to know a few things:)

So i am 19 years old going to be 20 in october, i have finished my a-levels in 2008 and then did a gap year. so basically my highest qualification is a university entry from high school. Secondly I have no teaching experience although i have done some volunteer English teaching when i was still in school as a weekend thing. I am a netive english speaker i just dont have experience and no BA yet because i want to have this year as my last year to travel and have a experience on my gap year. So is there any advice or anything/advice i could know and acknowledge about going about getting a job and such.
Would i even be able to get a paying teaching job?

Kindest Regards :)
Charity
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: WOULD I BE ABLE TO GET A TEACHING JOB?

Unread post by systematic »

Well, there's some advice advice here at TEFL.net. You could start with https://www.tefl.net/elt/category/articles/ and then read some of the other articles too.
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

You might find this article useful - it's about getting work without a degree.

Essentially you need to make yourself as employable as possible. That means

a) looking the part - well dressed, polite, and so on
b) having at least some qualification to teach

As for getting the job, well it's unlikely that you'll find work through an online advert (though there's no harm in trying) though there's a possibility through an agent.

Often though jobs are found by being in the country itself. Knocking on doors and all that!
cathjean

Unread post by cathjean »

Hello

I believe that where I live in Quebec, English is becoming more and more important and they need teachers to help the children learn it. So of course we may not all have a permanent job the first year, but I believe that it will be quite easy. PLus, most teachers are becoming old and they will soon retire, it is an opportunity for younger teachers like us to take their places.
Also, my governement is instoring a new policy that will help teachers of English to have a job. They want students in grade 6 to have 3 intensive months of English.
I hope this will motivate you.