Peer correction.

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

lali

Peer correction.

Unread post by lali »

Dear Lucy

In my last teaching role I was observed by the DOS and one of her suggestions was to use peer correction techniques in the classroom. I only know a little about peer correction and was too embarrassed to ask her how to go about this.
Can you tell me about peer correction and some tips/suggestions on how to use peer correction in the classroom.

Thank you
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: peer correction.

Unread post by Lucy »

Dear Lali,

You've come to the right place!

Peer correction refers to students correcting each other. This is an effective way to get students involved in the learning process and it allows a teacher to evaluate how many students are having difficulty with a particular language point.

It’s probably used most often in whole class work or when the teacher is monitoring group and pair work. If a student makes a mistake, invite another student to give the correct answer. Do this sensitively so that students aren’t embarrassed about their lack of knowledge in comparison to their peers. You can highlight the thing that was wrong and invite others to correct it. E.g. Student: I go there yesterday. Teacher: I go (in a questioning voice). Can anybody help?

Lucy
lali

Re: peer correction.

Unread post by lali »

Thank you so much Lucy