TESOL in Portugal

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

markc
Rising Star

TESOL in Portugal

Unread post by markc »

Does anyone have any advice on finding teaching work in Portugal? I'm in Lisbon now looking for work, but there doesn't seem to be very much here.
ilovelisbon

Re: TESOL in Portugal

Unread post by ilovelisbon »

I'm going to ask the same question. I just finished my CELTA at the teaching house NYC and i'm moving to Lisboa in another week. Does anyone know of any schools hiring? I have over 2 years of teaching experience. Any advice or leads would be great!
ICAL_Pete
Top Contributor

Re: TESOL in Portugal

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Funnily enough I was in Lisbon a few weeks ago talking to some TEFL people - fantastic city and great food!

But to jobs... most jobs are found through either local advertisements or word of mouth. The start of the school year is the best time to find work there so that means at the end of Summer (although of course if you're there now there's no harm in contacting all the schools and letting them know and then getting back in touch again at the end of Summer).

So I'd suggest getting the Yellow Pages and finding every single school and visiting them on spec and leaving your CV with them. Also you could check with the English language bookshops where job ads are occasionally posted.

More on teaching in Portugal.